Question re: running an event

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Asht

Question re: running an event

Post by Asht »

What sort of size venue would you need there is a hall near me and I'm sure if it was big enough I could get it booked

[This thread was split from the "Robot Wars Effect" thread as it veered off into event organisation - BeligerAnt]
Occashokka

Re: The "Robot Wars" Effect

Post by Occashokka »

We used to need space for about 80 robots and about 40 people but since so many have joined we'll need more space and also enough plugs that everyone can charge, aswell as accessibility by car so that we can get the arena there, whereabouts are you?

Edit: I just saw your in Devon, I just wanted to check it wasn't to extreme south or north
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The main AWS events can get quite large, but if you do a non-AWS event you will get a lower (but still worthwhile) turnout depending on how "central" your location is. Devon would count as "quite a long way" for a lot of people :)

You don't need a particularly big hall but you need lots of tables for the pit area, ideally plenty of mains sockets, space for the arena (about 1.5m square) on a couple of tables, and space for people to watch around the arena.

You also need someone with an arena and transport to agree to come to the event!

If you can get a venue for cheap/free everyone will appreciate not having to pay to enter, but if the cost is significant asking for a moderate donation per robot/team is acceptable. So far we've managed to keep the costs down to less than £5 per team. Bear in mind that by running the event you are saving on travel costs and everyone else is already having to pay to get there!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Personally I'd go to Devon for an AWS, but it would be at the very least an overnight stay :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Asht

Post by Asht »

It would be free or covered by me would like to contribute its Sidmouth Devon loads off space and parking could hold about 100 people
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

I could possibly help hold an event in Birmingham around April/May 2016. I don't have an arena but I know of several community centres here which are very cheap to hire
Team Shinobi