AWS 49 - Coventry - April 30th 2016

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

AWS 49 - Coventry - April 30th 2016

Post by EpicentrE »

Antweight World Series 49, presented by Epic Robotics & Team Picus Telerobotics

Registration Page: We are using AntLog 3 for AWS 49. You will need to create an account and add your robots to it as described here. Once your team is created and your robots are entered, you can sign up for the event here
Please only sign up Antweights on AntLog. Nanos and Fleas will have a separate sign up on the day.
Entry List: Click Here
Rules: Click Here

Whitley Academy, Abbey Road, Coventry, CV3 4BD.
Google Maps Link

If anyone wants any pointers regarding directions then feel free to ask, but I figure with the abundance of route-planning websites, satnavs, and smartphones, it probably isn't necessary to write them here.

Site

Here's a map of the site:

Venue

The event will be taking place in the academy's auditorium:

There will be fixed cameras on the arena, which will be linked up to a HD projector to ensure the action is visible wherever you are. The chairs that you see in the picture will be out, with the arena set up at the bottom, so there will be plenty of space if you just want to relax and watch the fighting.

The Academy is somewhat protective of the room; while I don't expect us all to tiptoe around with slippers on, please try to avoid dropping/spilling food and drink, using power tools which will fill the carpet with shards of metal, etc.

Schedule

All times are estimates, and may move around dependant on how long things take.

08:00 - 10:00 Setup. If you arrive during this time, expect to be asked to help move tables!
10:00 - 11:00 Registration and Tech Checks
11:00 - 13:00 Antweight World Series first round fights
13:00 - 13:30 Lunch break
13:30 - 16:00 Antweight World Series
16:00 - 17:00 Fleaweight and Nanoweight World Series
17:00 - 18:00 Prizegiving & Just For Fun - Annihilators, Tag Team etc.
18:00 - 19:00 Clean up

Events

Antweight World Series - The AWS will take place in the main arena, and will run on a full double-elimination system, with uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw.

Fleaweight World Series - The FWS will take place in the main arena, and may run either a double or single elimination tournament, dependant on time constraints and number of entries. Uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw.

Nanoweight World Series - The NWS will take place in the main arena, and may run either a double or single elimination tournament, dependant on time constraints and number of entries. Uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw.

"Just for fun" - Dependant on the amount of time remaining after the three main tournaments have concluded, there may be some small extra events. These may include things such as a tag team tournament, annihilators, rumble, robot roulette, etc.

Stream

The entire event will be streamed at https://www.twitch.tv/antweightworldseries. There will be two headsets set up for people to jump on and do commentary if they wish, as well as being able to view and respond to the stream chat. I would ask that you ensure that your commentary, and other interactions with the viewers, is "family friendly". Anything else is fair game. (Yes, that includes awful puns.)

Additional Information

Food and Drink

There will be a table set up with light refreshments, such as crisps and biscuits. There will also be cold drinks.

For lunch, people are of course welcome to bring their own, but there is an Asda just 5 minutes walk away, as well as a chip shop which is just a few minutes away by car.

Donation

To help me cover the costs of the venue hire, streaming equipment, and to put towards future events, I am allowing people to make donations if they so wish. If you do wish to help out in this way, then I am recommending a donation amount of £2 per robot, up to a maximum of £10. However, this is definitely only a suggestion; you are free to donate as much or as little as you wish, or nothing at all. You can either follow this link to donate via PayPal, or you can give it to me on the day if you prefer. I will also be setting up a donation button on the stream so that viewers who wish to see more Antweight events streamed in the future can give me their support. Once again, both the act of donating and the amount of said donation are entirely optional, but anything you can give would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by EpicentrE on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
botomatic1000

Re: AWS 49 - Coventry - April 30th 2016

Post by botomatic1000 »

if everything goes well this could just be my first ever robot combat event now all I need is a robot and a partner :)
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

I shall sign when I get my robot :P
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I take it you won't need my arena.
Riptide

Post by Riptide »

Signed up ready for my first AWS! Looking forward to it :)
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Signed up, albof should be a new robot for this one.
TEAM GEEK!
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I would say I look forward to seeing the new ALBOF in action but im not sure I fancy fighting anything that's an improvement of the original
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
suvv

Post by suvv »

finally signed up to an ant event all i have to do now is hope shakey gets it done in time
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

We'll be signing up very soon; just final preparations now. :D
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Hi everyone,

As it's less than two weeks to go, can I gently remind people to enter for this :) We'll be doing a lot of the downloading and confirmation on AntLog the night before, to save time on the day, so obviously the sooner people sign up the better. Don't leave it till the last minute - I've signed all of mine up and I still need to take the smeghammer to S. D. F. II after Ant Freeze, and clean the lager off S. D. F. I after its trip to Glasgow...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"