AWS 49 - Coventry - April 30th 2016

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: AWS 49 - Coventry - April 30th 2016

Post by BeligerAnt »

Thanks to Scott and co. for organising another great event. My performance in the arena was even more dismal than usual. :(

Full results are available on antlog.garya.org.uk
Click on the "Results" and "Fights" buttons to see the overall placings and fight details respectively.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks everyone for an awesome day!

Congratulations to Alex for, once again, taking home the trophy and also to everyone else who fought throughout the day; it was great seeing everyone performing so well.

Thanks again to Scott, Joey, Gary and all those who helped out to make the event as enjoyable as it was. I was particularly impressed with the way Antlog handled the draws and everything today and is an outstanding solution for drawing fights. It was great to be able to prepare many fights ahead. :D

I think on my end the day went pretty well; a couple of driving blunders due to simple carelessness by myself but I was finished off by truly excellent machines so all credit to them and their drivers. I was hardly disappointed to be knocked out by such marvellous creations.

Don't worry; I'll be coming back with a few more experimental robots to see if I can take the title off of your hands Alex! :D

Thanks again to everyone and I hope to see many of you at the next event! :)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Just got back in - apologies to everyone for being a bit listless at the end of the day, the subsequent heavily diverted train ride hasn't helped! I really did enjoy seeing you all again though, and thankyou to everyone who made me and Tracy feel welcome again :) Special thanks to (as well as Scott and Gary for the organisation!) Dave for the many lifts, Scott for walking us around Whitley, Rory for his impeccable sportsmanship and offering to diagnose Jigsaw's dicky controller, Peter, Alex and John for the bolts, and Occashokka for the tungsten!

Brief post mortem (because I'm liable to forget otherwise):

Jigsaw 64: Never wanted to work properly in the arena :( It was brilliant when testing in the hotel room the night before, but a dying motor drive chip left me with half speed reverse on one wheel, which seriously hampered drivability and was part of the reason I drove out in my first fight (nerves being the rest!), and then a recurring flipper servo problem led to me being outweaponed by Matt. I think it'll be a lot more competitive if I can sort those issues out though!

S. D. F.: Was there. Was still very twitchy to control, hence losing both its fights (although I ran a weaponless Stewie a *lot* closer than I thought I would with all the controls reversed!). I haven't really got a better use for it so it'll probably continue to exist, outlasting...

S. D. F. II: Kept going up against spinners, won the first spinner melee, and kept going right until Alasdair's spinner happened to its lipo! None of the panels are in salvagable condition though (pictures coming soon...), so the internals will be recycled. I do need to use more bolts to hold the front panels on; on Jigsaw (6 bolts), Slice To Meet You did virtually nothing, but on S. D. F. (2 bolts) the armour popped over the contersunk screw heads far too easily...

Well done to Alex, Dan, and Alex (!) for winning, as well as everyone else who won, and see you all soon :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Thanks to everyone for a great day yesterday, it was fantastic! Congrats to Alex for winning again and also congrats to everyone who beat me. Joint fifth in the ants and 1st in the fleas isn't bad I don't think. :-) see u all at the next one.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes thanks to all who helped with the organisation of another great day.
It never ceases to impress me how friendly and helpful you bunch are despite it being a serous competition.
You see people giving help, advice and even parts to others they may well have to fight and lose to later.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Cheers for putting on a great event. Me and Nat really enjoyed it.

Oaf will return...
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

And oaf is officially an award winning robot!!
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Hey all!

Thanks to everyone for coming, and to everyone who won something. I hope you all had a great time! Thanks as well to everyone who helped in some way during the day, as well as everyone who commentated on the stream.

Thanks to all those who tuned in on the stream as well; we hit 40 concurrent viewers at one point, which doesn't sound like a lot in comparison to other things on Twitch, but for us it's a huge number, so that was excellent. This is the first time I've really gone out of my way to promote the stream in a lot of different places, and it obviously worked!

Whether you were there in real life or joined us on the stream, I'd love to hear your feedback as to what can be improved for next time.

The stream archives have been exported to YouTube and are available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxkuH2vysAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BghRN7AWuWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA1c4o3vt84

These are completely unedited, and so you have all the set-up time the morning, the lunch break etc. in there.

Thanks again! See you at the next one! :)
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Thanks for a great event Scott, Joey, Tracy, Dave, Gary and everybody else who helped. I enjoyed watching the video as well so thanks for uploading that. Thanks to Alex and Rory for helping to get my robots up and running again. As for my performance, Jaguar did awfully, the chassis took more damage at the last event than i thought, and is now going to be retired/rebuilt. (although it did have a 0.5 mm hdpe wedge, not a paper wedge as the commentators thought :V) The Burning Shadows did brilliantly, going 3-2 and almost making the final stages, though i did get a bit lucky against sdf II and khaledius maximus. I am happy with my performance and i hope to do better at the next event i turn up to. Hopefully i will finally rebuild jaguar and maybe even build something new. I also hope to improve my driving as i feel it let me down against trigger (twice). I had a fantastic time and hope to see you all again.
InfernalTank

Post by InfernalTank »

I saw the stream from home. Lots of great bots and great fights!
American bot builder