AWS 47 - Stoke Sub Hampton - July 4th 2015

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: AWS 47 - Stoke Sub Hampton - July 4th 2015

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It appears I was wrong! That one about self contained teams used to be a lot longer I'm sure. In my opinion, that needs a rule then, otherwise you could 3D print 4 frames and just use one set of components between all 4! That's just silly.

Joey, I'm sure no one would object if you have two robots and take a battery out of one to put it in the other if its low on charge or the other got damaged but what I propose is that all robots should be entirely self contained at the start of the day, IE. If you enter two robots they both have their own battery etc in place and ready to fight. If it needs swapping out later due to reasons you suggest, that's no problem to me.

EDIT - I should also therefore apologise to the SmartAnt team as it appears they did everything by the book.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

How is the recovery of the money going Rory have you been inundated or are people being a bit tight.
(Gentle reminder to those who haven't contributed yet) :roll:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

dave
all are robots are split across 2 transmitters and we kept having two fights extremely close together ( this should be addressed by antlog but some how this didn't work) with robots on the same transmitter this is not helped by the fact most are robots you need to undo bolts to get to the battery (we are solving this by putting external switches)
Even if you changed the rules to what you thought they were we wold not be braking them!!!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Why does having robots on the same transmitter hold you up? All of my robots are on one transmitter. You just either swap profiles or link all robots to the same TX, depending on the model you use. I don't understand why that would slow you up, unless you were undoing bolts and changing batteries after every fight, which is also unnecessary...
Most people with full teams had their fights all very close together but we didn't have to wait for them so long.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I would be fine with it being 3 and a walker as it mean we wouldn't need to reduce it to 3 robots very often as most people would then only have three anyway but if it was down to three I would want it to be two and a cluster.
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

yes we do have to undo and do up bolts before and after every fight to tern off the robot or the battery's will go flat and are receivers lose there bindings
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

2c) Robots must have an externally accessible way of being shut down (e.g. a power switch, removable link or battery plug)
You need to be able to switch the robot off without taking it apart..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Yes, in that case, you are, in fact, definitely against the rules.

Regarding the cluster thing, I think I agree with Joel. People would still be welcome to cluster robots, even do ant/nano ones, but as one of their three 'normal' entries. Then only a walker gets extra credit. Would either create a walker boom or cut numbers down, both of which I'm happy with.

Looking forward to hearing other opinions but will create a new thread for it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

these rules are not checked at any event I have ever been to, I am trying to put external switches and plugs for instance sa4 has a switch on the underside and smart fanzz has external battery plugs.
I feel I am being picked on just becace I delayed a coplue of fights, go check other teams robots and you will find I am not the only one braking this rule.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

We wouldn't have cared if it was just a few fights, but for almost every single fight you were called we had to go to skip to another fight first and often you were still not ready after being given extra time. In the end we started just automatically skipping several fights first after you had been called just so there would be less of a delay. It's good that you are rectifying this issue, it was just a little tedious as EO..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc