Non-AWS event - June possibly - South Wales

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rhys

Non-AWS event - June possibly - South Wales

Post by Rhys »

Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you have seen elsewhere on the forum I'm thinking of organising a non-AWS event some time before the next AWS. The main reason was just to try and make up for missing the AWS last weekend. But after reading the rules discussion section I thought it might be an idea to play about with the rules as it's a non-AWS event.

I don't have a specific date in mind yet, but was thinking of late June or early July. But I'm not sure of the date of the next AWS (if anyone knows, please post), so if that's a bit close, then we can always bring it forward a bit. But I guess it's ultimately dependant on if the hall is available.

As for rules I was thinking along the lines of fully enclosed arena (2 high walls, 2 low walls), 2 minutes fight time and max 3 robots each. I was also toying with the idea of having conditions on the type of robot eg. 1st robot - Free to enter anything, 2nd robot - Must have an active weapon, 3rd robot - Must be a walker, cluster or spinner. But maybe that's a step too far? Would arguably make for more interesting fights though.

So basically I'm looking for some feedback:
1. Would you be interested in coming to sunny Wales & what dates are best/worst for people?
2. What usual AWS rules would you like to see dropped/amended?
3. Can anyone provide an arena (and potentially modify the drop off to make them into low walls)?

Or if you have any other ideas or suggestions they are welcome.
joey_picus

Re: Non-AWS event - June possibly - South Wales

Post by joey_picus »

I'd definitely be interested, I've never been to Wales before (although I have been able to observe Wales from a safe distance) :)

Rory mentioned the first two weekends in July as being potential AWS dates, so that's the only date clash I'm aware of...regarding rules, I'd be quite interested in seeing a wider variety of weapons, so (unless you've thought of something better) maybe encourage the entry of active weapons other than flippers and spinners? I'd also like to see non-combat based games too, but that might be because I subconsciously really miss Reading Robot Club...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

1) Yes I'm interested
2) Happy to try anything. Your suggestions sound fun!
3) Andy and I might be able to bring ours; it wouldn't be too hard to add walls along the two drop-off sides. There's a cost involved in the hiring of a van though, unfortunately.
Last edited by EpicentrE on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

We could potentially charge entry fee to try and cover that? Didn't RRC used to charge £5 a team? That really isn't much when you look at all the other costs.

I know it's never nice to charge for entry, but it could be a stepping stone to making it a more permanat event.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I can't remember RRC ever charging, although I think one or two AWSes have in the past - I don't have any objection to it to help out though (even if it's just £5 a team it'd add up quickly and most people can spare a fiver!)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I think it's perfectly reasonable to charge entry fee to cover costs although if its in June I think it would be best to be at the very start seen as AWS is early july and I know for certain that if my bot was ripped to pieces and needs a whole rebuild i would want 4 weekends to fix it
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'm quite happy with the arena type and rule stipulations (mainly because my main 3 already fit that parameter :) ).
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Cant make it, south wales is just too far for me
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Right, the hall is free on pretty much all the dates in May/June. I'm potentially busy on 6th June. So that leave 23 May, 30 May or 13 June. Any preferences? Or would Sundays be easier for people?
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Either of the may dates would be good
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P