AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Post by EpicentrE »

Addendum:

Alasdair, your blue extension reel was left in the cupboard here, so I have it. Let me know what you'd like me to do with it.

Also, apparently a woman (I do not know who) who had been at the event rang up the school and said she'd lost her phone. I've just had a look through all the stuff that was put away in the cupboards and haven't found anything. Does anyone know anything about this?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Didn't see a phone but found a camera that we handed to Dave.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

UPDATE ON THE FUNNY FLIPPER JAMMING PROBLEM

I have found that when the battery is draining quickly (which is happening almost immediately with my 120mah NiMH battery), the R615x seems to shut down in a way and spins the drive around and lifts the flipper up to around 40 degrees of travel. This persists until the throttle channel is decreased fully. The receiver then appears to restart and start working properly again until there is any load at all on the flipper where it does it all over again. I am contemplating switching it out for an old R410, R610 or R615 to see if this solves the issue. Trouble is, I don't want to ruin any of the others! Also, the flipper servo seems to 'miss' its target location when retracted and extended also which resulted in Hoondal not being able to self right. However, to try and improve the self righting performace in case I'm left on my back sort of immobile again, I have rebuilt it into a front hinge flipper which appears to work fine. I has had its leads seperated out as well and the servo has been moved down the chassis a bit just in case it is causing some induced currents in the SG90 signal lines.

At least I know now that it is a battery power issue (or appears to be) so I shall order some new 210mah batteries soon! :-)

Hope this has helped anybody with the same sort of issue!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That sounds like classic voltage sag. The servo draws more than the battery can supply and the voltage drops cutting the receiver.

The receiver reboots when the servo stop overdrawing. Larger discharge batteries or liPos will fix it.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Larger discharge batteries? That could just be the answer! I shall make sure to keep my eye open when I do my battery buying next! However, I may be clustering Hoondal with a nano to spice things up a little and leave space for a 4WD pusher (watch out Stanley!) in the place of the Power Cluster.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Remote-Controlled Dave obviuosly has an extremely good memory and noticed and error in one of the group stage result sheets.
I had shown Anto 3 (sorry Craig) going out to Ant Clank but after checking the hand writen charts I found in fact it won that fight but then went out to Chomp.
Here is the updated chart.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Just noticed watching the video that, although the Smart Ant robots were entered as 2 teams, Kenton drove all 6 robots. This is against the rules and really not in spirit of the comp. We'll have to keep tabs on it in future. I'm sorry to draw attention to it as its negative, but it has to be addressed really.
A separate team needs a separate driver, and the ONLY way you should be driving more than 4 robots is if you're helping someone else out with their clusterbot. We are all aware of these rules!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

oh well. i'm sure it was an honest mistake. i agree the rules need to be enforced better though.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Remote-Controlled Dave wrote:Just noticed Kenton drove all 6 robots. This is against the rules and really not in spirit of the comp. We'll have to keep tabs on it in future. I'm sorry to draw attention to it as its negative, but it has to be addressed really.
A separate team needs a separate driver,
We are very sorry but we thout kenton ( it was me lincoln driving not kenton) woud come to drive the second team but he didn't so I had to drive both teams. We are now only going to be one team from now on as kenton has lost interest in robots :(

Lincoln and Chris
Ps We want to change are username on hear but it won't let us.