Brighton Mini Maker Faire - 6th September 2014

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: Brighton Mini Maker Faire - 6th September 2014

Post by BeligerAnt »

It's always good to have a good supply of drive-all-days but it's also useful to have a number of other robots on static display or for periodic demos. So it's not essential to bring only drive-all-days, or even completely functional robots! More exotic and/or part-built robots can be very good as talking points or as illustrations.

We will have one arena, generally for the public to play in but periodically for a spinner (or other) demo.
We also have a number of protective screens to shield static displays from visitors' fingers.
We usually manage to give away a good number of flyers and plans for the Pants kit.
We also try to display useful YouTube, web and Twitter links as it's a pretty tech-savvy crowd.

Useful web links and suggestions of other demos/exhibits welcome! (Especially if you can supply them!)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I don't have any other demos/exhibits except a feather but I don't know if that takes up too much space, they tend to attract attention though. Just had a root around and looks like I'll be bringing 4 ants with me.

What's parking like there?
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Ah, the perennial Brighton parking problem!

By far the cheapest deal (and coincidentally closest to the venue!) is to get parked before 8:00 :o at the Church Street NCP.
This costs £6 for the whole day, compared to the best part of £5 per hour most other places.

For sat nav, use postcode BN1 1US.
Google map

The event is at the Corn Exchange, more or less the same place as the museum & art gallery is shown on the map.

The next cheapest place to park is probably the pay & display parking on Madeira Drive (seafront) at £15 for 11 hours it's a lot more than the Church St car park and a 20+ minute walk to the venue. To get a place you still have to arrive early!

There is also a multi-storey on North Road, only 5-10mins from the venue and according to Parkopedia only £5 if you arrive before 8:30. Be sure to check the tariffs before parking, as it could cost you £25 for anything over 4 hours! Some reports suggest the parking charges are/were not clearly displayed and you could get stung for a £4 minimum charge even if you drive in, see the prices and decide to drive straight out again. So beware!

Parking in Brighton is a nightmare and even parking outside the centre and getting a bus in will cost £5 on the bus plus whatever you end up paying for parking. Free parking is not easy to find unless you venture out into the housing estates then it takes an eternity to get into the town centre on the bus!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Alex and Will have been added to my stand, and apparently we're the same end of the hall at least. They're gonna see if our stands can be moved a bit closer though.

I'll try have a few ESCs and kits to demo, though I'll probably only be able to take postal orders on the day as I won't have very many. I'll do a price list and a bit of an info sheet to go with them.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I won't be able to attend this now- mixed up my dates and with the heavyweight UK Champs next week I desperately need to get Manta back in working order this weekend.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I'm working on building as many functioning robots as I can for the day :)
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
olivers

Post by olivers »

i think I stayed at the London Road Car Park last year:

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content ... d-car-park

£8 for 9hrs on a Sat.

I was aiming to get there for about 9:30

I'll bring a few ants and some hopefully drive all day bots if thats ok.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Carlton Hill car park on Kingswood Street, BN2 9QG, £10 for 9 hours, and literally across the Victoria Gardens to the venue.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Carlton Hill is quite small. OK if you get there early, but getting across the A23 could be "interesting".
London Road car park is much bigger but a bit further to walk.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Apologies for being uncommunicative but I will be there tomorrow with a drive all day bot :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.