AWS44 - Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rapidrory

Re: AWS44 - Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Post by Rapidrory »

I'm certainly very interested in building a beetle, and I think it could be a very good weight class if it takes off... however as it is, few people build them, so there are aren't enough for an event, so there's no real incentive to build them... They need a chance to get going.

I agree it could be tight for time, but the main competition at the last AWS ran roughly from 12:00 to 4:00, which still gives us at least another 3 hours, even if the main comp is another hour longer (and 4 hours if Dave gets another hour at the end of the day). There's plenty of time to do everything if it's carefully organised. I do understand Dave26's concerns though, and think that the beetle event should impact the AWS as little as possible.. Would be good to someday get a beetle arena at a HW show; I think it would go down well with the audience, and perhaps better with the competitors :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

razerdave wrote:As for interfering with other events like Tag Team and Annihilators, I simply wasn't going to run them because of the competitions already in place.
I'm obviously biased as an antweight-only builder, but I dislike the idea of losing extra events that everyone can compete in to add in an event that only some people can compete in. I honestly have no issue with doing BW stuff at an AWS, but strongly feel it should be in addition to, rather than instead of, any antweight-related content.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
MicroGravity100

Post by MicroGravity100 »

16? Wow I was unaware of how many there are... still, the class is never going to take of in a big way unless a comp is held. And you needn't cut the side competitions, just run the AWS and other stuff as normal and splice the beetles in while we're waiting between rounds. 16 robots in a knockout makes only 16 fights if you want to include a playoff, and at 2 mins each the entire thing can be run in under 45 mins if done efficiently. And I'm sure with the spinners of Eggbeater, RPM etc. some fights will be less than 2 mins by far.
EDIT: I mean 45 mins as a total, obviously not all at once :P
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

How does this sound:

Flea weights start at 11, I can't see it taking more than half an hour?
I start doin the AWS draw, whilst Haz is running the first lot of beetle fights. It takes about half and hour to do the draw, that gives us enough time for 15 fights which would normally be downtime (I don't want to do the AWS draw before the fleas in case of irrepairable damage to fleas that are cluster parts). After the heats are finished and we're down to 16 ants or so, we'll run the other half of the beetle heats and give the finalists some time to repair, and leave the 4 final matches til last thing. Those who want to compete in the tag teams and such can do so whilst the last 4 beetle fights go on . I'm sure Haz doesn't mind running one or the other (or Shane for that matter).

What do we think?
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Seems reasonable enough, although specifically putting the last section of the AWS on hold for repair time (which we don't normally need, and so is not really a valid reason for your plan) is definitely going to make the whole thing run longer, which is going to come at the expense of more fun stuff at the end.

At the end of the day, it's your event, and if you think you can get everything into the time constraints in the way you plan then that's your decision, or if you want to sacrifice antweight fun stuff for BW stuff then that's also your decision. I just don't want to see the needs of the few (BWs) outweighing the needs of the many (AWs).
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
PJ-27

Post by PJ-27 »

I'll be bringing Spinza my BW.

Looking forward to seeing the SlaughterHouse and the first BW comp in the country.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Now we are fitting the AWS event in between the Beetle rounds to ensure they have time to do any repaires they need.
All the priority despite previous promises is now given to the Beetles.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

They have to go SOMEWHERE! Ants get their time to repair in between their matches because I how spread apart they are. If I condensed the AWS down to 16 ants you wouldn't have the time to fix them before your next fight came round would you? The first round being in that wasted time during the AWS DRAW is the best way to get it started. Besides, I would have thought the last 16 would be greatful for some extra time to fix their robots, because their matches at that point would be getting closer and closer together.

I am not giving priority to the beetles, I am trying to keep it time efficient without disrupting the AWS (all the Heat rounds will happen in one block rather than split up to make room for beetles which was my initial plan/brain fart)
haz

Post by haz »

I'm sorry there is bad feeling here.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Put them at the end. Run the AWS as normal and then the beetles can have whatever time is left, seen as they are not the priority for an AWS event and none of us were actually told they'd be running anyway. If there are a couple of hours free at the end, they can get a full comp. If there is half an hour they can do a couple of melees. But the AWS should be the priority and the SOLE concern of anyone who has agreed to organise it. We'd never run an AWS at a heavyweight or featherweight championship because we aren't given top priority. At an AWS, the ants are top priority, therefore FWS and warm up, AWS, beetles if there is any time left is the only decent way to divide the time. Like Scott said, I have nothing against beetles but I have no interest in them either and I'm coming to compete in an antweight competition. Which was promised as the initiative.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39