AWS44 - Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MicroGravity100

Re: AWS44 - Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Post by MicroGravity100 »

A fantastic day, and finally a proper beetle competition! Massive thanks to David and Haz for making it happen despite complications, and well done to Alex & Anvil for the win, it was well deserved and I'll have to come up with something to do with my spare 100g to have you next time ;). And I think a rematch between RPM & Headbanger is necessary after the unfotunate self righting problem that led to the win. Very happy with second, considering I thought it was over after it ate it's own link. Didn't get to see all the antweight fighting but well done to other Alex & Stanley for the win. After seeing the ants again I've decided to get the 6WD one I've designed & named Bioshock ready for AWS 45, and a return to Coventry would be great too, was one of the last AWSs I went to before breaking all my ants. Here's hoping a few antweight builders caught the beetleweight bug and vica versa, always good to see more beetles about.
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
haz

Post by haz »

Bioshock from team Rapture?

Wonder what games you play lol.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

razerdave wrote:Ah, thanks Alex :). Then my call was valid.
I feel it's worth noting that I'm pretty sure Andy knew that he was going to get counted out, and so knocked the wall to try to be funny, not to actually legitimately try to win the match :P. He knew he'd lost already.

It would be nice to have a way to stop that from happening, but as the side walls are removable, you can't do much short of sealing the entire edge of the arena every tournament, which is obviously unrealistic.

Regarding the beetles, they were interesting to see, but I'd rather they didn't become a permanent staple of the AWS. I do feel like they detracted from the AWS at certain points, especially later in the competition, when some people preferred to be off fighting their beetles than watching the action unfold in the main arena. Also, as someone who isn't really interested in building a flea at the moment either, I had nothing at all to do in the morning without a warm-up competition running side-by-side with the fleas as we have been doing recently.

I definitely won't be running them in Coventry, but that's mostly due to space constraints, regardless of my personal opinion. That said, I wish the guys who do want to do beetles the best of luck and hope that the class takes off as you'd like.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I agree with Scott.

Also, regarding the news you all want to hear, sadly, Pudding did not survive the AWS. Sausage did however and there will definitely be another one next time to take on that sissy Inertia!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

The beetle fights got a bit rushed at the end because the schedule got slightly squiffy, sorry about that.

I appreciate they may have been a slight distraction but not as bad as they could have been, but I will most likely run beetles and AWS seperate if I do any more event disorganising :).
As for Andy knowing he was goin to lose, why did he argue the point then? I told him outside manipulation was unfair and thusly deemed him to lose, and he said 'it's not in the rules' and got annoyed about it.

It makes no odds now, the match is over, the decision was legit, his argument is invalid. Sweep to one side and we wait on the next one :).

Who is doing the next one anyway? I heard either Scott or John Denny (because he wanted to do this one).
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Scott's near as definite for the next. I offered it to John but he looked very unsure and said no due to the time of year or something.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
limpet

Post by limpet »

Scott doing the next one is fine by me, we are looking at putting the house up for sale in a few months so I`m not sure of the time available.
I`m happy to do January again, probably an Ant Freeze but an AWS is possible instead depending on interest.
It was a great event with loads going on, we really enjoyed ourselves (I even got to fight!). Thanks for running it and sorry we couldn`t stay any longer to pack up but somebody got a bit stressed after having to pull our tag team from the comp :D
Last edited by limpet on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Thanks to Dave and co for a really good event on Saturday. I throughly enjoyed the whole day.

It was nice to finally see the beetlweights make a proper appearance. I've already got plenty of ideas to improve mine for the next time they are out :)

I look forward to seeing you all at AWS 45 and I'm already putting plans in place to return to Reading for the usual one at the start of 2015.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
MicroGravity100

Post by MicroGravity100 »

haz wrote:Bioshock from team Rapture?

Wonder what games you play lol.
Totally not planning a robot with a giant drill on it ;)
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
dcr raptor

Post by dcr raptor »

When will the videos from this AWS be on Youtube?
I'm looking forward to seeing what happened.