The AWS43 Feedback Thread

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: The AWS43 Feedback Thread

Post by Shakey »

Actually I think a 2 walled arena does favour pushers. All I normally have to do is Drive straight forwards, flick the steering right, run them across the wall and out... Boring for all parties involved. If there was even a little thing to stop me running robots along the wall I would you know... Have to use skill and stuff... The thing I attend a contest to test out.. not some lather rinse repeat 2 stick movement.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

The reason a 4WD pusher has an advantage in this situation is obviously traction; yes, anyone can push someone off the edge, however a 4WD pusher can do that more readily than any other design. They have greater control over their opponent, and ultimately a much better chance of getting their opponent over the edge.

As 4WD pushers are one of the simplest types to design, they are the logical choice in design with the current arena layout. In my opinion, this is as much about inspiring creativity in the design of the robots as it is making the fights even. At the moment, creativity is almost being discouraged, as the logical favorite (in terms of effectiveness compared to ease of construction) is the 4WD pusher, with other designs taking more effort, with less of a chance of success.

A 4 walled arena would favor spinners, A low walled arena would favor flippers, and a no walled arena would favor pushers (much like in a sumo arena). Therefore an arena with 2 high walls, two short low wall (possibly with a small 45 degree piece in the corner to stop people from lodging themselves), and two drop offs would seem to be roughly even, and make for much more interesting fights all round, also giving people more reason to try out different designs, whilst still maintaining a good chance of success.

Anyway, seeing as this thread is not actually about arena design or rule changes, I'd like to say that I hugely enjoyed the event! I am well aware how much effort went into running the it as I dropped in the night before to help out, and I think I couldn't have asked for any more on the part of the organizers having seen the effort that was put in to getting it ready! :)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Psychostorm (you'll have to excuse me for not being able to link your forum user name to a face) - I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the basis of we clearly have a different philosophy of how our sport should evolve. I have always believed that arena designs should be updated and modified to allow as many different types of designs to flourish as possible. You think that people should just build what is successful in what we are given, even if that means certain designs of robots become far less popular.

I don't mind going through your points and countering them if you want, but I get the feeling that neither of us is going to be swayed on this issue.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on this, but as far as I'm concerned, I am most definitely arguing for - amongst other things - equality amongst different types of robots. Please never, ever insinuate that I am lying or being dishonest. That is not something I do.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

FYI Scott, Psychostorm = Ceri (Napalm Death).

I have opened up a committee meeting thread so that we can discuss this amongst ourselves (the committee members) and hopefully come to a consensus.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Thanks Dave, can we please move the arena chat into the thread that Dave has opened so that we can get this topic back on track.

One final word on the arena that we used at AWS43. Aside from the issue of getting my arena to Reading, the main reason for this new one was due to the many complaints that I had about last years arena. Many people were saying that it was difficult to see into, the painted surface wasn't very good and that the walls did not fit into AWS rules. We resolved these as best we could for this years arena but we now the problems seem to have gone back the other way.

If we can have a clear cut view on what the majority of people would like for an arena then I will try to fix our arenas to match the new criteria as best as possible.

As for the placement of cameras getting in the way of standing behind your robots, may I please point out that the camera in question was not one of ours. Plus may people drove their ants from behind our camera for the stream which did not seem to impair their view at all.

Thanks for all of the comments relating to the event, we will try and address these if we do decide to run the event next year.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Sorry Will, didn't mean to target you whatsoever with my arena-related rants. I understand you were pressed for time, and given that limitation you still put something perfectly usable together, so hats off to you.

Unfortunately however I can't reply to the committee post as I don't have access :P.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Will: Speaking from my own perspective (IE, an tall one :) ), the old arena (and indeed the new arena) are too low both in the height of the table an also the heights of the screens. Scott and Andy's arena, and Pete's arena are both tall, with very few joins in them, which made visability a factor. As for the drop off zones, I was fine that way you had it in the old arena, much preferred not to have a completely empty wall down 2 sides. As for the arena surface, I preferred it larger, and also the colour scheme was fine, but your penchant for LEDs did make it reflective.

Scott: any points to raise with the committee, drop me a message and I will make sure your (and anyone else's opinion) is taken under consideration.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i thought the event was fantastic! it was great seeing everyone again and the footy and obsticle course arenas were great fun. for once, it was hogi that did the best out of my three ( if you don't count TS winning the annihilator). that proves that two wheel drive pushers can still be pretty competitive. a big well done to everybody involved in organising the event. next year, same time, same place! :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)