How to run a better AWS?

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rhys

Re: How to run a better AWS?

Post by Rhys »

Ah you beat me to it Gary, I was just about to sing the praises of the new antlog! Even if 3 of your 4 fights aren't ready it will just queue up the next available fight, and from what I've seen from testing, it does this all the way to the final, even if you're still waiting for some of the groups to be completed. I ddon't have a projector for AWS 41, but I'm planning on having the ant log running on a 42" screen adjacent to the arena so everyone can see who's up next. The only issue I've seen is that without an internet connection the competitors aren't free to have a poke around on their own to see how the groups are panning out, and have to rely on the organiser to have a look at this for them. I'm hoping a paper copy of the results alongside the antlog will help this at AWS 41.

Also, if people knew a little better how the double elimination system worked, they would know when to expect their fights. If you know what group your robots were in, and if they won/lost their last fight, you should know roughly when they are up next.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Rhys, if you make some big enough sheets for the AWS I'm happy to copy everything onto a paper copy that is free for anyone to flick through that can be updated agencently to the EOs copy.

I know something like this was attempted at AWS40 using the white board in the other room but it just didn't come off. Also, I know the venues have to be big enough to accomodate everyone, having the ability to shout out to everyone in the room at once certainly helps with annoucing fights! So many times at the last one I was bellowing a name and they were in the other room...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Cheers Dave. You can do the bellowing too, you have a talent for it. :P

I was planning on having an A4 sheet for each group pinned up to a board, then a big print out for the final 16, which is where it becomes a bit more unpredictable. Hopefully that will help with any confusion as to who is fighting who and when, without having to bother the organiser to look at the antlog.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

When I met Gemma, I said I'm pretty quiet in general, except at AWSs where I'm suddenly 'the loud one'. She now believes me. Lol.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39