AWS 40

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: AWS 40

Post by EpicentrE »

My post wasn't aimed at anyone inparticular. I don't wish to stifle discussion or criticism; both are good things which help us improve. Just wanted to make sure people were giving Will the respect he deserved, no matter what criticisms they had :).

Talking of criticisms, one thing I meant to mention but forgot; It seemed odd to me that the judges we had wern't people who were familiar with antweights. It appeared they didn't know about the pinning/entanglement rule, for example.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments- it's given me plenty to think about.

Now I've had a couple of days to sit down and recover I've been thinking about the comments from everyone and been chatting to those involved and we have some solutions to the issues raised from Saturday.

1. We will not be using 2 rooms for the pits/ arena. In the future the pits will join us in the main room and open all the doors so that the tables can extend into the lobby but still within earshot of the arena.

2. next time between fights we will put Antlog onto the projector/ stream so that everyone can see who will be fighting soon.

3. I am going to raise the roof of the arena to make it easier to see into.

4. The walls around the drop off will be made lower and smaller as this has recieved a few negative comments.

5. We will start the fleas earlier (possibly changing to single elimination)

6. The judges will be briefed fully (a copy of the rules was made available to them but they didn't fully get it)

If there is anything else that people would like to see changed please let me know. I plan to put forward to host AWS 43 (this time next year) and if no one else offers for AWS 41 I will chat to the uni about running it again but I cannot make any promises as of yet since this event cost the uni in excess of £500 to organise.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

razerdave wrote:You and Will have raised the bar a bit too high! Most people wouldn't even try and take up the mantle and then end up in a scout hut like we used to be :).

Btw, I have a Dx5 that was left behind near my bench. It's a new style one with some black tape stuck round the sides. Anyone owning up to it?
that might be mine :oops:
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'll either post it to you or I'll bring it over on the way to burgess hill.
haz

Post by haz »

I'd kind of be needing it for the FW champs. I apologize for leaving it. If you could maybe post it, i can reimburse you at champs
limpet

Post by limpet »

Hi all,
Thanks for a great day at Reading, my 3D videos are now on youtube (you can view them in 2D as well). The channel name is 13black
I was thinking about the delays between fights and how about having a stacking up system where boxes are set up for the upcoming fights, when a robot is ready it is put in its box, as soon as both are in the box they can go to fight. That way there will be no breaks in between fights? You could have labels to say which robots are due in which boxes and everyone could see what was coming up.

thanks
John
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
StuartL

Post by StuartL »

limpet wrote:my 3D videos are now on youtube (you can view them in 2D as well). The channel name is 13black
Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/513mb/videos
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Will, has anyone got a copy of the antlog from the event?
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

John's idea is pretty good! Get a few boxes, a paper label, announce the fight, label up the next 6 boxes...a good, simple alternative to having a whole second arena I reckon.

I know Will is posted the full results and videos but he is currently in Northern Ireland so I'm sure it'll be done when he's back.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
olivers

Post by olivers »

Hi,
does anyone have the results?

Have everything ready to upload to my site but need the results.

1) Anticide, Andy H