AWS 47 - Stoke Sub Hampton - July 4th 2015

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Lincoln

Re: AWS 47 - Stoke Sub Hampton - July 4th 2015

Post by Lincoln »

yes we do have to undo and do up bolts before and after every fight to tern off the robot or the battery's will go flat and are receivers lose there bindings
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

2c) Robots must have an externally accessible way of being shut down (e.g. a power switch, removable link or battery plug)
You need to be able to switch the robot off without taking it apart..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yes, in that case, you are, in fact, definitely against the rules.

Regarding the cluster thing, I think I agree with Joel. People would still be welcome to cluster robots, even do ant/nano ones, but as one of their three 'normal' entries. Then only a walker gets extra credit. Would either create a walker boom or cut numbers down, both of which I'm happy with.

Looking forward to hearing other opinions but will create a new thread for it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

these rules are not checked at any event I have ever been to, I am trying to put external switches and plugs for instance sa4 has a switch on the underside and smart fanzz has external battery plugs.
I feel I am being picked on just becace I delayed a coplue of fights, go check other teams robots and you will find I am not the only one braking this rule.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

We wouldn't have cared if it was just a few fights, but for almost every single fight you were called we had to go to skip to another fight first and often you were still not ready after being given extra time. In the end we started just automatically skipping several fights first after you had been called just so there would be less of a delay. It's good that you are rectifying this issue, it was just a little tedious as EO..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Remote-Controlled Dave

Name another robot that breaks that rule and they will be brought up too. I cant think of any though. And if your opinion is that its ok to break rules as long as you can get away with it not being checked, then that's a pretty poor attitude in my opinion. That rule has been there since day one!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I am sorry for the delay but when you have a fight then a fight directly afterwards there is going to be a delay.
we have already stared the proses of making a initially new pcb which will make it easier for us to put external switches on
edit dave some of joles robots for one
and that is not my attitude I just felt that that rule was for safety on spinners and other dangerous weaponry
Last edited by Lincoln on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I had several fights one after the other; all I did was switch one bot off, switch the other on and change TX models. Took about 20 seconds max.The joys of bots that have switches :P

Joels robots and other shock bots kits can be unplugged by opening the flipper, and doesn't require any dismantling.. The general rule of thumb is that it shouldn't require a tool to turn the robot off. And it's required for all robots, as if some of the electronics started going up in smoke you'd want to be able to turn it off pretty sharpish.. Basically, if a robot can't be turned off within a few seconds then it needs addressing..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have full confidence in my pcb's that they will not go up in smoke.
if all goes to plan all robots braking this rule will have been replaced by the next aws.
END OF
Remote-Controlled Dave

I don't have switches, I just have external plugs and I can take one robot out and put the next in without delay.

Joel's robots? babymetal has an open bottom and the plug can be reached from any angle. And the plug on his kitbot can be accessed through the flipper hole, which I know cos its one of Will's. So that's not true.

Look, its not about being picked on. You were the only team on the day (and at other events) who consistently held up competition. When we ask why, you state its because some of your robots are outside the rules. So that needs investigating.

If this is something I need to add to my tech check list then I will but I really thought it was clear enough having it in the rules.

It is good that you are trying to rectify the issues, but the robots shouldn't have been entered if they knowingly didn't comply to the rules.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39