starting

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Mine's looking at about ?1000 overall, that does include about ?250 of pneumatics and lots of different materials though (I'm doing it for a college project so you can probably manage it cheaper if you cut a few corners :P)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

I've just added up my parts list for the new Drumroll and it comes to just under ?500. That's including A123s, associated charging equipment, Scorpion XL and the materials for the chassis and pulleys etc for the drum. I also allowed ?175 for the cost of the drum construction.

It doesn't include the cost of the brushless weapon motor or speedo as they got donated by ALK Engineering, but for a full combat featherweight capable of some decent destruction, ?500 is pretty good in my opinion. You can make them for cheaper depending on parts used, material choices and so on. For example, a good brushless setup in a spinner (motor and esc) would cost about ?150 minimum roughly. If you opt for a brushed setup though, you could do that in about ?40 with a Speed 900 and relays/switches, or ?10 - ?15 if you use a car fan motor from a breaker's yard instead of the Speed 900.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

The base setup for our feathers, is about 325 euros. That is a set of gearboxes with 100mm wheels and speed 900 motors, a Scorpion XXL speed controller, 2x 7.2V NiMh battery packs, and a BR6000 receiver.

According to Google that is about 300 pounds for the drive and electronics. Add 30 pounds for the Spektrum TX.

With the Planet 5 setup it would be about 290 GBP.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Yikes :o
If you want a competative robot you kinda need to spend alot
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Probably not something I can afford at present. If got saturday job maybe. :D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Just for future reference, what sort of specs do you need for the motors on feathers, what sort of SC, Reciever and at what voltage do they need to run?
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Can't help noticing everyones using drill motors. Does this literally mean using the motor from a hand drill or using motors that drills also use. It's seems a shame to by a perfectly good drill and throwing away a fiver's worth of electronics and moulded plastic away. Apart from drills, what motors do you use? (I'm a novice)
Jonathan Atkinson
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It means literally using the motors from hand drills :P you can order the motors seperately from Robochallenge (http://web.me.com/robochallenge/Robo_Ch ... nical.html ) but most people do throw the rest of the drill away...it has to be said often the drills that are cannibalised in such a way aren't of much use as actual drills, we're talking about ?10 B&Q own brand ones here more often than not.

Personally my featherweight's using Bosch 35 motors, they seem to be quite good - they're out of the electric seat adjusters in Jaguars! - and people also use 'feather gold' motors and scooter motors (which are ungeared and need you to gear them down yourself), Astroflights (same as the gold ones, with added expense), windscreen wiper motors (geared, but need modification and notoriously slow) and even electric screwdriver motors among others!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Funnily enough, the hand drill I'm using at the moment is in fact a B&Q own brand and isn't bad actually :D. I get the Idea though; is there a website you acn direct me to on how to extract the motors from drills?
Jonathan Atkinson
maddox

Post by maddox »

bitternboy wrote:Can't help noticing everyones using drill motors. Does this literally mean using the motor from a hand drill or using motors that drills also use. It's seems a shame to by a perfectly good drill and throwing away a fiver's worth of electronics and moulded plastic away. Apart from drills, what motors do you use? (I'm a novice)
Team RCC uses for the Feathers the Grauper Speed 900 with a single stage reduction gearing. But these motors are heavy and hugely overtorqued for featheruse. (and we have calculated top speeds of 20-30 mph, depending on batteries)

And the electronics in a cheap batterydrill are not a fiver, but like ?0.5