starting

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Just for future reference, what sort of specs do you need for the motors on feathers, what sort of SC, Reciever and at what voltage do they need to run?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Can't help noticing everyones using drill motors. Does this literally mean using the motor from a hand drill or using motors that drills also use. It's seems a shame to by a perfectly good drill and throwing away a fiver's worth of electronics and moulded plastic away. Apart from drills, what motors do you use? (I'm a novice)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It means literally using the motors from hand drills :P you can order the motors seperately from Robochallenge (http://web.me.com/robochallenge/Robo_Ch ... nical.html ) but most people do throw the rest of the drill away...it has to be said often the drills that are cannibalised in such a way aren't of much use as actual drills, we're talking about ?10 B&Q own brand ones here more often than not.

Personally my featherweight's using Bosch 35 motors, they seem to be quite good - they're out of the electric seat adjusters in Jaguars! - and people also use 'feather gold' motors and scooter motors (which are ungeared and need you to gear them down yourself), Astroflights (same as the gold ones, with added expense), windscreen wiper motors (geared, but need modification and notoriously slow) and even electric screwdriver motors among others!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Funnily enough, the hand drill I'm using at the moment is in fact a B&Q own brand and isn't bad actually :D. I get the Idea though; is there a website you acn direct me to on how to extract the motors from drills?
Jonathan Atkinson
maddox

Post by maddox »

bitternboy wrote:Can't help noticing everyones using drill motors. Does this literally mean using the motor from a hand drill or using motors that drills also use. It's seems a shame to by a perfectly good drill and throwing away a fiver's worth of electronics and moulded plastic away. Apart from drills, what motors do you use? (I'm a novice)
Team RCC uses for the Feathers the Grauper Speed 900 with a single stage reduction gearing. But these motors are heavy and hugely overtorqued for featheruse. (and we have calculated top speeds of 20-30 mph, depending on batteries)

And the electronics in a cheap batterydrill are not a fiver, but like ?0.5
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

I am planning to build a featherweight.

So far, i am looking at about ?350
Thats 2 cordless drills for batteries and motors
A scorpion XL speed controller
A welded box section steel chassis (sending it to a blacksmith)
Nylon Armour (from my school)
A spektrum RX
and a low pressure lifter, which i will either salvage from a paintball gun, or trevor from team mighty mouse ( he came to my awesome cool roaming robots birthday party to help with the battle rats) said that he could probably get some for me for cheap.

It will be a low pressure lifter/rambot/pusher

i do not know about the tyres though... :P
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

hi mate,
that sounds like a good setup you got there,
one thing i would say though, drill batterys are good for testing but when it comes to combat fighting their a bit pants, id look into some decent nimh's or a123 technology.
also for tires/wheels, id look into the robochallenge blue wheels, they are cheap, battle tested and come in a variety of sizes:
http://web.me.com/robochallenge/Robo_Ch ... Store.html
good luck mate, and if you ever need any help, youhave my youtube channel :)
all the best
jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics