Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Invade

Team Invade Featherweights

Post by Team Invade »

The 2012 Featherweight UK Championships Final - Explosion vs NST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTg4fMp7GwY&feature=plcp
On the plus side, atleast we made the final for a second year running :roll:

More images can be seen HERE

All the repairs made have been completely superficial. All of the pneumatics, electronics and drive managed to withstand NST entirely. We've re-welded up the frame, made a new corner, and a few new other bits, and six panels (the back panel is still the same). All in all, nothing's changed, so it should work just as well as before, hopefully :)

Hopefully it'll perform just as well as ever this weekend.
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
EpicentrE

Re: Team Invade Featherweights

Post by EpicentrE »

You put up a good fight in that final, but I'm honestly wondering how it would be possible to beat a powerful horizontal spinner in an arena with no drop-off unless it either breaks down or you get lucky and it hits itself into the pit?

I've considered building a feather a few times before, and while I'm in by no means shy to having my bots destroyed, going into a fight where you're going to get badly damaged with almost no chance of doing anything doesn't seem like a great deal of fun to me. Or is it just a case of running into the weapon enough times in quick succession that you eventaully manage to stop it for long enough to get in and take control of the fight? Which doesn't really seem like a likely tactic as it hits you to the other side of the arena and spins up again almost instantly.

I'm not trying to bash feathers here (as some people have known me to do in the past), it's an honest question. What do you do?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Depends on what you are.

In Satanix's case, you take the hits, if you can get under it when it bounces you ram it into the nearest wall in the hope something breaks, or into the pit.

In Explosions case, he too had to withstand the hits long enough to flip it up and/or over, so it would either go out of the arena or be unstable long enough to get it out.
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

The problem this year was that there were two people driving NST. Sam was the driver and Grant slowed the weapon just as it was about to hit, as to avoid it throwing itself out. This left me with the only tactic to, as you say, try and knock it into the pit.

Even more annoying was the fact that the chain came off NST after the last hit, if our link had stayed in I would have had a good chance of flipping it out.

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Honestly Scott, one minute you're complaining about antweights having a drop off, and the next about feathers NOT having a drop off! :roll: lol

Explosion coming second two years running is both very impressive and very unlucky! It's a great little machine and always well driven. It just needs that extra bit of luck! Although I was pleased to see we finally had a featherweight spinner champion outside of RW.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Hey now, don't mis-quote me :P. It's my opinion that there should be some drop off, but I feel there's too much in the antweight arenas.

Anyway, I apologise for derailing the thread. I've watched some of the other videos and Explosion is clearly a great robot. Here's hoping next time you can go one better ^^.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hey now, don't mis-quote me
Aw, but I like mis-quoting you! lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I have seen invasion, anhialation, eruption and explosion at roaming robots. all awesome robots. we are planning on making our new ant a similar shape to explosion.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Glad you like our robots :) Very happy for you to take inspiration from my designs providing they're not just copies as I have my own antweight and fleaweight versions!