EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Seriously, don't do it. You put up one of these over-enthusiatic posts all the time. It's great that you're enthusiastic about building robots, but you really need to start at the bottom and work your way up. You're trying to walk before you can run and it will only result in a waste of time and money, if not serious injury. If you've never built a featherweight before, make a 2-wheeled rolling platform to teach yourself the methods. Pneumatics are complicated and dangerous and its clear you have no idea what you're on about with them. The way to learn here is NOT through trial and error, especially at your age and experience level.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

im not over enthusiastic.
i just want to make a robot that is quite good.
not something rubbish.
plus i have loads of advice from you guys.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

no, the pin valve screws into that adapter. then when the wheel at the top is turned the pin valve opens and co2 comes out.
ram wise i'd suggest having a bore greater than 40mm for low pressure.

i'd suggest:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Festo-Air-Cylinde ... 197wt_1141

the volume of this ram is a quarter of a litre, for a buffer tank i'd recommend going for triple that.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i kinda agree with dave, heres a suggestion:

build a basic featherweight rambot and learn how these larger weight classes work. if you still want to build a flipper you can use drive and batteries from your rambot in your flipper :) by the what budget are you working with? featherweights are alot more expensive than ants!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

im not over enthusiastic.
i just want to make a robot that is quite good.
not something rubbish.
plus i have loads of advice from you guys.
You can build a perfectly good featherweight without resorting to doing something you know nothing about. Look at Tiny Toon. Basic, 2 wheel drive pusher and its won a ton of events, including, at one point, the title.
It's a classic mistake to overstretch yourself because you want to win, or have a competitive robot. It's also not the best attitude to have for a project, especially with the level of quality and experience of featherweights out there. It is incredibly hard to win a featherweight fight, because there are usually about 20 robots in the ring at once. And what makes a "good" robot is open to interpretation anyway. Personally I think having yet another pnuematic flipper would not be a "good" robot at all.
With your level of knowledge, you'll never build a pnuematic flipper thats going to compete against other feathers out there. You need to gain knowledge and experience before attempting something like that. But, by all means, if you want to ignore practically everyone's advice on here and do it anyway, go for it. We can only say we warned you.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

Jonny wrote:i kinda agree with dave, heres a suggestion:

build a basic featherweight rambot and learn how these larger weight classes work. if you still want to build a flipper you can use drive and batteries from your rambot in your flipper :) by the what budget are you working with? featherweights are alot more expensive than ants!
how much did it cost.
are there any vids of it in action.

my budget is £150
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

thanks for your advice guys.
im going to do a 2 wheel drive.
staying with my chasis though.
but how affective are roll cages these days
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

ok here are the motors im using.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... rivers+%2F

thanks jonny
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

so this is the chasis.

side

bottom

the metal is a mixture of steel and aluminium.
what do you think
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

hmm, how was that made? cast aluminium cracks easily. it also looks very heavy and probably a pain to adapt for robot use. i'd recommend using hdpe, it's light, easy to work with, cheap, and can be cut easily using a jigsaw