EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

kickboxer

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

Post by kickboxer »

Hi guys.
so i was talking to harry last time he was on and he challenged me to a beatleweight floor battle.
i decided instead i would bring a featherweight (just to show ).
and yesterday i was on my grandads alotment when i found a brilliant looking piece of rock hard metal.
the problem is it is a weed plow.(man powered.)
so i took it apart and got it down to that piece of metal.
and took 2 of the curved diggers and put them at the back of it.
the basic design of it is a spinner.(like hipnodisc)
but with a roll cage on the back.
so basically im just saying im now one of the people who is designing a feather.
the disc is an old wheels with the rubber taken off and bolts welded on it.
:D
kickboxer

Re: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

Post by kickboxer »

so now im just thinking of a decent motor i could use to spin the wheel blade around?
any thoughts?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I hate to be quite so frank with this Ryan, but for your own safety I will.

1: Spinners in FW's only attend 1 or 2 shows a year, because there is only 1 arena to contain them and they don't do many events. Its not recommended for your first robot

2: You say you've taking bits off a manual plough. That will weight an absolute shedload. Do you know the weight limit for featherweights ?

3: Its unwise just to weld bolts onto spinning things, chances are they'll break off as soon as you hit anything, and they could indeed hit you (make a mistake with a chuck in a drill when I turned it on, put a hole through a door on the other end of the workshop)

I implor you to please read the FRA 2011 rulebook before you continue.
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

i wouldnt mind only doing 2 events.
its actually quite light! :o
i might on second thought make a flipper.then if i get better gradually ill build up to a spinner.
thanks for your advice.
plus my dad has done that before when he was working for this company he was putting the blade on a circular saw.
he put it on wrong and it shredded into the door :cry: .
it was a nice door.
anyways ill make it into a flipper design then.
much appreciated for the advice.
d you know what i could use to make the flipper flip for a FW.
im thinking pneumatics but because im a beginner i dont want to be digging into a hole i cant get out of.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

What I would suggest is coming to an event first and seeing other machines in the metal, so you can see what is entailed in making pneumatics. I've been building FW's for almost 4 years now and still haven't quite gotten them :P.

Basic parts for a feather system:
CO2 Tank (a buffer tank is common but not essential)
Pressure relief valve (If the pressure gets too high for what you want, this releases the excess, which you can set)
Dump Valve (when the tank is turned off, this little valve takes all the gas out of the pipework)
Operating valve (lets gas in and out of the ram)
Pneumatic ram.actuator
Pipework
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

what size should the CO2 canister be.
how much would all this cost.
and would you need to refill the canister all the time
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

would this be any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-88g-co2-umare ... 3f0a77d697

perfect size

and this pressure relief valve

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITON-COMBI-PRES ... 20b9ab3c3d

dump valve

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Evo-7- ... 33681dae8f

operating valve

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G1-4-One-Way-Air- ... 20b9b21d7a

if anyone could let me buy one for around the same price i would be gratefull i just dont want to be ordering from hon kong

pneumatic ram

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORGREN-MARTONAIR ... 1e63eaa082

and pipe work

if anyone could let me buy some quite cheap i would be gratefull

is it all good
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

1. no, too small and non refillable, also not the right size 88g is a tiny amount of co2, most featherweights use 360g-600g of co2. also you'd need to find an adapter for those co2 bottles and that's probably easier said than done. here is a more suitable tank:
http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/ ... oduct.html

2.no, that pressure releif valve will probably be a 3 bar one as it says it has come from a boiler, i really don't recommend you use co2 at 3 bar in a flipper as unless you have a huge bore ram with a high flowrate valve you won't even be able to lift a feather. i'd recommend starting off building a 10 bar system, a fp system is vastly more expensive and dangerous aswell as being pain in the backside. low pressure releif valves can be found on technobots or andy (team hydra) has one for sale for £8

3. that dump valve is from a car, not sure what it is used to dump but i doubt it would work for a fw, it is also very expensive when compared to other dump valves. a more suitable dump valve:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Lever-Ball-V ... _600wt_907

4. no, that valve is designed to reduce the flowrate, for a flipper you want as much flowrate as possible! for a double acting low pressure system you'll want a 5/2 solenoid valve

5.yes but i really wouldn't recommend it. for a low pressure system you'll want a very high bore ram with a decent stroke, ie 60mm bore 80mm stroke, with enough flowrate this size ram would make a nice flipper, i doubt that ram would be able to lift a feather but even if it could the robot that you 'flip' wouldn't get any airtime. dave mac has a nice 80mm bore 65mm stroke ram for sale that would make a nice effective flipper if it has enough flowrate.

i must warn you about co2 systems aswell, they are dangerous, even low pressure ones. never go near a pressurised system alone unless you have to.

if you need any help/advice with flippers i'm here to help, do you have any experience with pneumatic systems by the way? :)
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i'd say a decent flow pressure flipper system would cost between £100 and £200. you can refill your cannisters at the event before the fight for free, if you want to test your pneumatic system before the event you can buy co2, or you could test it on compressed air if you have a compressor or can borrow one. also if you want to make a flipper and not a lifter a buffer tank is a requirement, for low pressure aim for atleast twice the size of the ram (preferable 3 times the size) for fp you can get away with less. :)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

It all looks pretty much useless to be honest. The ram and tanks are way too small. The pressure relief valve is from a boiler and has no info, so is pretty much useless. Same with the dump valve, it has no info, so you don't know what it's rated to or if it will fit your system. Plus it's from an Evo7, so will probably end up selling for a fortune! Not sure about the operating valve, it can handle decent PSI, but how are you going to operate it? Most people use a 3/2 or 5/2 solenoid valve. And don't forget you'll also need a CO2 regulator, which will cost a small fortune!

Like Dave said, I hate to be frank, but maybe you're taking on too much too soon? If you go rushing onto ebay before you know what you're looking for, you're only wasting your time and money. Find out what each part does, what different types are available, what parts others use etc. Then start looking for stuff to buy. There's plenty of info on the FRA website. I managed to learn everything I know from there and managed to put together a featherweight system for a fairly small amount. Maybe I'll build a robot to go with it on day.... hey ho.