would these be ok?

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

when are they producing the 12a?

and what would be needed to do a flipper/lifter or an axe?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

its already being produced :D
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-SABER2X12-RC.html

for a flipper you'll need a load of pneumatics including:
reservoir tank
buffer tank
solenoid valve(s)
adapters
quick release valves
tubing
ram
regulator

(probably missed something out there but thats all i can remember off the top of my head:P)

for an axe you could use pneumatics (i am for a heavy) or you could use an electric motor like pure evil. a motor would be easier (probably).

an as for lifter you need a powerful electric motor like a windscreen wiper motor from a car. (panic attack used 2 heavy duty lorry windscreen motors). or you could use a drill motor hooked up to some type of hocus pocus mechanism. (harry tried to explain this to me but i can't remember :roll: ) so you'd be better off asking him, his forum name is 'haz'.
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

im edging toward a axe or lifter but what about a circular saw type thing? similar to pussycat?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

mattsdragons wrote:im edging toward a axe or lifter but what about a circular saw type thing? similar to pussycat?
Two issues with that:

I: They're still considered 'spinners' and so have all the issues associated with those (i.e. being only able to run twice to three times a year with the weapon, safety, a couple of extra rules)

II: Saws, generally, are designed to cut slowly into static wood or metal - robots tend not to be very static and not precise enough to cut slowly, and even if they're used 'correctly' they cause minimal damage, especially to modern armour - if you stick a wood cutting blade on a motor and ram another robot with it, it'll almost certainly shatter or break or otherwise cease to work.
(hardened steel wood cutting blades are also banned by the way :P)

Pussycat's blade from series 4 onwards was much more of a disc than a saw, it only had four teeth, was specially engineered and did most of its damage from inertia and impact damage.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

i think ill go with a lifter or axe

but how would you go about making an axe?
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

bought my first motor today. i have got it out of the casing. would i still need anything inside it such as the switch or would i be ok to connect the wires from the battery straight too the wires from the motor?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

1st of all have you grub screwed the drill motor? if not look up a guide or ask someone how to do it and then do it. you need a speed controller to turn stick movements into motor movements as discussed previously on this topic.
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

Bought my second motor today but in having trouble attaching the wheels properly, any one got any ideas of how to attach the wheels to a shaft of a motor?

It is probably stupid but I doubt strong super glue would do it? :)
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

you could put them on and then do up a nut really tight
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

For wheels with a hole smaller than the drill shaft diameter you drill it to a slightly undersized hole and using brute force screw the wheels on if they're made from plastic.

You can put a the reverse thread screw back in with a washer for extra security.

For larger holes a plate that screws onto the drill shaft and then boltsto the wheel could work.

What wheels have you got? so we can try to give you a better solution than the ones above.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?