would these be ok?

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

that sort of thing?
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/aca ... _6373.html

and would a 10a esc be ok and how many would i need?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

by the way spinners can only enter 2 events a year as the only spinner proof featherweight arena is robo challenge. they are also potentially lethal machines. if you still want to build a spinner then good luck!
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

you could use a single speed 900 but for more power it'd probably best to use 2 like drumroll. you'd need alot more than a 10a speed controller for speed 900's. a victor 883 is 60a so you'd need something around that mark for each motor.
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

my bad wording, would a 10a esc be ok for the drive of the wheels?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

probably bbut seeing as they're stopping the sabertooth 2x10amp controllers and are making 2x12amp for the same price it would be easier to use the 12amp. you will only need one of those to power both of the drill motors :)
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

when are they producing the 12a?

and what would be needed to do a flipper/lifter or an axe?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

its already being produced :D
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-SABER2X12-RC.html

for a flipper you'll need a load of pneumatics including:
reservoir tank
buffer tank
solenoid valve(s)
adapters
quick release valves
tubing
ram
regulator

(probably missed something out there but thats all i can remember off the top of my head:P)

for an axe you could use pneumatics (i am for a heavy) or you could use an electric motor like pure evil. a motor would be easier (probably).

an as for lifter you need a powerful electric motor like a windscreen wiper motor from a car. (panic attack used 2 heavy duty lorry windscreen motors). or you could use a drill motor hooked up to some type of hocus pocus mechanism. (harry tried to explain this to me but i can't remember :roll: ) so you'd be better off asking him, his forum name is 'haz'.
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

im edging toward a axe or lifter but what about a circular saw type thing? similar to pussycat?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

mattsdragons wrote:im edging toward a axe or lifter but what about a circular saw type thing? similar to pussycat?
Two issues with that:

I: They're still considered 'spinners' and so have all the issues associated with those (i.e. being only able to run twice to three times a year with the weapon, safety, a couple of extra rules)

II: Saws, generally, are designed to cut slowly into static wood or metal - robots tend not to be very static and not precise enough to cut slowly, and even if they're used 'correctly' they cause minimal damage, especially to modern armour - if you stick a wood cutting blade on a motor and ram another robot with it, it'll almost certainly shatter or break or otherwise cease to work.
(hardened steel wood cutting blades are also banned by the way :P)

Pussycat's blade from series 4 onwards was much more of a disc than a saw, it only had four teeth, was specially engineered and did most of its damage from inertia and impact damage.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
mattsdragons

Post by mattsdragons »

i think ill go with a lifter or axe

but how would you go about making an axe?