featherweights at rfrc?

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

should we have a featherweight mellee at rfrc?

yes
89%
no
11%
other (post opinion)
No votes

Total votes: 9

Team Orr

featherweights at rfrc?

Post by Team Orr »

hi chaps,

i cant help but notice that quite a few of you are building featherweights, good choice :) last rfrc me, matt hunt and a few guys went up to a nearby basketball court and had loads of fun trashing a bin :P after that there seemed to be a lot of interest in a featherweight melle, unfortunetly there were a few issues that came up and prevented this, but this year that has been fixed, and iv come up with a cool idea

perhaps if we can get a few of the newly built featherweights down, we could have a melle? rr/rl are great and all but if your going with a new robot theres a good chance you could be bringing it back in a body bag, this would break them in slowly (5 way mellee rather than a 16 way in front of 100's)

just to clarify this wouldnt be a major part of rfrc more of a fun sideshow the kids (and bug kids) could do during the break

i was planning on bringing my 4-5 fw's down to the next one anyway, so would be good to get some practice

just a thought...what do the new builders think?

jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I *should* have Stiltskin partially done by then, at the very least (fingers crossed!) it'll be a driving chassis that I wouldn't mind putting in with the others to test for design flaws. Provided everything was quite safe - I don't think anyone's doing a feather with a weapon other than me, and I can't see myself getting the pneumatics working by then XD - I'd have no objection to a few battles whatsoever, as long as it didn't detract from the ants :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Joey wrote: as long as it didn't detract from the ants :)
defo, ants are more important
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

I would not advise spinners/drumbots/thwackbots as there is no battlebox
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

that would be a must, flippers/axe/rammer's should be okay though?

its not gonna be a major part of the event, just a bit of fun/practice
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

sounds cool maybe test my pile of shi... ahm i mean feather weight if its done in time :D got beter armour now 8mm hdpe and some 3mm alumimumumumn foor base. but it does soun sound good tho
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Definately, I haven't done any rfrc before but it's reasonably close to home so I can bring Phase along if it's ready as well as some antweights. :D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

as i have posted in the main rfrc thread, we have received possible dates, would any of you guys have a working feather by:

18th september
19th september
16th october
17th october

(these are all just possible dates, no confirmation yet!)

no worries if not guys, just think it will be a bit of fun, oh and as previously posted no spinners/drums please :lol:

ta

jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I might...I might not...it depends on a few factors including the punctuality of Dutch engineering companies and my own incompetence :P

(I will have a fleaweight for RFRC though, in slightly related news)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
haz

Post by haz »

i might just be able to finesh my feather, radioactive kung fu fridge boy in time for this fingers crossed just need some minor things.. like wheels