Speed

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Speed

Post by EpicentrE »

So, now that I finally have my workshop re-set up again, and am currently working on getting my ants up and running, I'd love to look into making a feather sometime in the near-ish future.

I've been doing a bit of designing, but I find it difficult to find an answer to the relatively simple question "What is a good speed for a FW?". I've heard various different things from different people, but no real evidence or solid explanations.

While I'm not posting here expecting precise numbers (ishs will do just fine), it would be nice to see a few examples, i.e. "here is a video of a FW going about 10mph", just so I can know what to expect and so I can make more educated design decisions.

I've had a look round on the FRA forum (especially the FW database thread) and the amount of people who actually list what speed their 'bot goes is incredibly low, which is why I'm asking here.

So yeah, any advice or links to things is appreciated ^^.

Thanks in advance!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I think that the standard speed is that of a standard drill motor run at 14.4V with a 30cm diameter wheel on it. I have this set up at home and I'll do an RPM test on it, I suspect that'll be your baseline speed.

Simon
maddox

Post by maddox »

The Hannibalito's have a theoretical top speed over 17mph, but we limit the stick between 25 (German arena) and 60% (XFM arena with very grippy floor) for "normal" movement. Meaning 10 mph as avarage.

A good aim is 12-15 mph for "weaponed" machines, and 15-20 mph for rammers.