fleas

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Post by haz »

Oh dear... sounds scary :o :D
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Just thought I'd post a pic of my 10yr old flea,called Bruce.
I recently put new radio gear and upgraded the armour from 0.2mm plasticard,to 1mm polycarbonate,with a titanium edge!

It weight spot on 75g.
The weapon servo is an SD200,I cant remember what the drive servos were,but I removed the final output gear and directly attached lego shafts. It really shifts,(for a servo driven bot on 4.5V!).

Here is a link to a quick video too!!
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/ ... 173536.mp4
Hope you like it.
Cheers James. :)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

That's actually really impressive, it's a really good robot :)

Are you planning on bringing it to an event someday?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks alot.
I am pleased you like it!
I built it for my son back in the day,and used it to chase his pull back robot wars toys around the living room!!! :D
I am thinking about ordering some geared motors and having a play,so you may see me around sometime!!
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hi jim

I have to say thats a very impressive looking robot, is the chassis milled out from a single block or is it bolted plates ? Its very neat inside, I'm really suprised you haven't been to an event before, and they fact you made a fleaweight on your first go :)

I have 2 fleas myself, Little Devil and Divinity, a lifter and a spinning blade respectively, they are running on gear-motors and were built to be a clusterbot to take on antweights as well as fight other fleas, hence they're rather overbuilt :P

earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

What a great idea! 2 x fleaweights = 1 x Antweight clusterbot! 8)

Thanks razerdave!
I appreciate the comments,guys.
The chassis is a "drilled and dremeled" sheet of fibre reinforced epoxy board stuff from my local modelshop. (Sussex model centre). It is like circuit board material,but comes in different thicknesses.
Bruce's chassis is 2mm thick.
I have recently built a workshop,at the bottom of my garden,so I may have to start experimenting with some more designs!!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Welcome to the forum that certainly is a good looking bot and beautifully made.
I use pcb material a lot in my robots but usually have to etch off the copper and have had difficulty in finding different thicknesses so I will have a look on the SMC site.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks Peter. :)
I had a look,but couldn't find any on their website. I definately saw some in the shop a week or so ago. I think that is is mainly used by pilots to make electric motor mounts for their planes.
From what I can tell though,they have a very intermittant supply.
Cheers James.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Since you live in West Sussex, may I suggest bringing Bruce to Antweight World Series 33 (AWS33), its being held in Brighton, and there will be fleaweights competing there (mine will be at least), it would be nice to meet you and to see how your robot fights.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I saw that,and would love to come.
Unfortunately that W/E has been earmarked for SWMBO's birthday celebrations. One of the few events that cannot be circumnavigated!!!! :roll: