team hectic fleaweight build diary.

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

Hogi

Re: team hectic fleaweight build diary.

Post by Hogi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 pm

yes and i was afraid you'd say that :)

this robot's inspiration was indeed zoink.
Featherweight under construction.

Antweight to build list: 4Wd lifter, new clusterbot, secret project, walker of some description.

Team Hectic.

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 am

Very nice walking mechnaism though! Looks quicker than the one we put on Zoink. Are you ging to put any grip on the legs to make it push better?

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 am

i have a snapped pololu tyre that i am planning on cutting up and sticking to the ends of the legs. doubt it'll last long enough in the arena to push anything though. in fact theres quite a risk of it falling apart but that's just part of the fun of it. :)

Antweight to build list: 4Wd lifter, new clusterbot, secret project, walker of some description.

Team Hectic.

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 pm

my walking mechanisms keep falling apart and i just don't have the time so i'm going to build a roller instead. the fourth member of my fleaweight team will be a walker, it just wont happen before this AWS.

Team Hectic.

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

i'm sorry to say the fleaweight project turned out to be another boring two wheel drive pusher. :(
on the plus side, i suppose i must be at least one of the first people ever to enter a fleaweight clusterbot :)

the new one is called “chocolate orange”. it's called that because that's what the people at school have nicknamed me and my girlfriend as a couple. :) it runs very nicely if a bit quick but it has enough power to self right against walls pretty quickly. currently comes in at 63.75 grams aproximately and could probably do with being weighted up a bit.

here's a pic...
Attachments
HNI_0084_MPO.JPG
HNI_0084_MPO.JPG (57.99 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

Team Hectic.

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 pm

after breaking up with my girlfriend i realised i would have to rename chocolate orange as that name has lost it's meaning. i can now announce that the robot's new name will be 360 no scope. for those of you unfamilier with the world of video games, a 360 no scope is a trick shot from call of duty ( aparently! :) it's my brother who's the gamer not me :) ) anyway, i now turn my attention to the fourth member of my fleaweight team which is looking like it's going to be a walker, only this time i'm going to use the leg and cam mechanisms tried and tested by robots such as scutter and shuffleaction. looking forward to getting started although it'll probably be a summer project as percaveering with robot walking mechanisms is probably not the best idea during exam season :)

Team Hectic.

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi everyone. here is my fourth fleaweight entry. it is, as usual for my buildsmanship, an exceedingly boring, two wheel drive pusher held together with duck tape. it's called crayoler crayons make an excellent snack
Attachments
HNI_0093_MPO.JPG
HNI_0093_MPO.JPG (84.56 KiB) Viewed 2199 times

Team Hectic.

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:54 pm

You won it with one of your "boring" entries before, so.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:00 pm

well at least that one had a wedge, which is more than I could manage with this new one. :) this one just has a ridiculous name.

Team Hectic.

Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Buy a load of cheap servos and start gluing them to things; that's how Haggis happened! Though I'm afraid that kit doesn't have a servo connector on it; you said it wasn't going to have a weapon so I decided to leave it off as it gives less bare connectors to short out.

(These are the cheap servos that Bully and Haggis use BTW: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4Pcs-MG90S-Mi ... 43d8ed4fcc )
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:33 pm

Dan's a good enough driver to beat you without one Rory :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm well aware of that :P Still, would be cool to see you come up with some more new designs :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:15 pm

I love nice sturdy looking boxes. They're awesome! Coupled with good driving, it'll be fine.

And also, those servos are fantastic. I've found them to be a lot better than a Park HPX F which I used in Hoondal (does anyone remember Hoondal at AWS45? No? There's a reason for that!). They are very small, strong and inexpensive when compared to other metal geared servos. I use one in the latest AntWithTopHat because the SG92R I had in there appeared to be very slow for some reason. I also think Yoink uses one as well so I would definitely recommend bolting one to the top of any boxy looking robot to give it some sort of weapon if you really want to (I see no reason to really but then again, I can't drive and control a weapon properly at the same time :-) ).

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:20 pm

I remember Hoondal. I nearly lost to it. Lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

Hogi

Post by Hogi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:06 pm

thanks guys! :) i have been doing some driving practise with it ( it's not particularly easy to drive ) i might bind it to my orange so that i can adjust the travel a bit. now that i've left school and finished my summer temporary job, i'll have plenty of time to do practise driving sessions so hopefully i'll be able to put on at least a reasonably alright driving performance this time. :)

Team Hectic.