fleaweights at AWS 40

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

fleaweights at AWS 40

Post by Hogi »

I was quite impressed with the fleaweight championships at AWS 40 and hope to see them again at AWS 41. I also liked the idea of using two fleas as an antweight clusterbot. I thought some of the cluster names were funny. the remote control harry potter law enforcement duo! SO FUNNY!!!!!
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Hogi

Re: fleaweights at AWS 40

Post by Hogi »

does anyone have any tips for what parts to buy for a flea robot? just a pusher, nothing special. I just want to be able to compete in all the AWS events.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Realistically the parts list for a flea is going to be very similar to the parts list for an ant, just smaller! Modified servos do crop up though as the TowerPro MG90 and similar types are easily modified, very quick, and can give you speed to match or exceed the motor driven fleas. Hide And Seek uses those (ask Josh Valman about 3D printed parts to make the speed hacking a lot easier!), along with a homemade voltage regulator circuit to enable it to use a 2 cell LiPo to drive the servos, but Catatonia (my other more successful flea) uses the exact same parts as a normal 2WD ant pusher, only packed into a smaller package.

You don't really need any special parts for a flea that are fundamentally different from the parts for an ant, you just have several cubic inches of space less to play with :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Like Joey says, there's nothing that's exclusively a fleaweight part. My 3 fleas all had different drive servos, batteries and receivers, all of which have been previously used in antweights too.