Are the fleas still going?

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

thebeardedone

Are the fleas still going?

Post by thebeardedone »

Just thinking about a little side project that I can do at my partners home and a flea seemed ideal.

I have a few questions regarding them though:
1) Are there still flea battles at AWSs or other events?
2) Are the rules listed here up-to-date ?
3) What sort of limits is there to weapons? Do they need to be initiated by R/C?
4) Can I use my 2.4Ghz R/C in the class?
5) Servos or GMs in this class (whats the standard? Out of Interest)?

I just want to make sure that if I do build one that I have some people to challenge.

Regards,
Sam[/url]
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey Sam

Yes fleas are still going, actually getting a resurgance lately, there were 5 at the last AWS but there should have been more (unforseen circumstances with a few).

Out of the 5 fleas 2 were servo driven the others were GM driven, weapons can be whatever an ant can use, we had 3 spinners, a lifter and a pushbot last time, and yes, they must be RC controlled

radio technology now is nat such a poijt you can get the same bits of an ant into the weight of a flea. For example:

Divinity:
2 50:1 GM's
1 7.4v 120mA lipo
2 'bling' wheels
1 Waller Option B63 board and a 2g spektrum AR6300 attached directly to the board
1 6A brushless speed controller
1 13g baby outrunner brushless motor
1 55mm x 22mm Grade 5 Ti blade
3mm HDPE sheet (30 x 80mm) base

Came to exactly 75g
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

They're very much still going :) I've got Little Yellow Taxi going at the moment and hope to get at least one other done for the RR event in Barnsley.

There's still flea battles, as Dave says they're on the up although it does tend to be on a bit of an ad hoc basis - you get used to passing the time at events by having fun battles with other peoples' ants and not doing very well but having a lot of fun :P Gearmotors are becoming more widespread, LYT uses Naro HP servos but it's slower than time itself and the new flea will be using Jigsaw's old motors for a bit more speed.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Well, that is good news.

So, I have two builds underway. One antweight and one fleaweight.

Thanks for the responses,
Sam