Opinions Please

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I'm on dial-up yea. And its always timed out for me. Would give opinions, but cant. lol
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
petec

Post by petec »

Looks good - are you using a content management system for it? It certainly looks the piece - wish I had the time to do it with this one :-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I'm not using a content management system exactly (although that would be nice :wink: ). The main problem with my current site is it is a real pain to mass update it - for example to change anything in the menu system means I have to change it on every single page (100+ pages!). That was something I was not prepared to do.

Then I began learning PHP and learned about the function it has to include pages inside other pages and set about designing this site with the main aim being to make it look good but be very easy for me to update.

I have created a sort of PHP based template system that can easily be adapted for each different section and has multiple pages included in that one file. The top header and horizontal menu is one include, the login section another and the vertical side menu another etc. I have a few bugs in it to sort out before I can really get going with the other sections but I though I might as well trial it first :)

Good thing that people seem to like it too! :D
petec

Post by petec »

There are a number of free PHP content management systems out there, if you want to go down that route. Some are more difficult than others to set up and use though, so worth some browsing first.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I may have a look around then and see whats on offer. I never have really looked before but now updating the site regularly and easily is my main priority it may well be worth having a look.
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

More content has gone up over the past few weeks, you can also now register and log in, or although if you do, don't forget your password because you can't recover it yet :wink: I will get the rest done as soon as possible along with the actualy homepage (it's only a tempory one at the moment) and a page for my new antweight walker (Antisocial) which I am currently planning.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Pete Waller had a robot called antisocial, it was a 4wd hs-81 pusher i suggest u ask him if its ok to use the name he hasnt used it since the first nano wars
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

In an old thread before the forum got hacked I did ask his permission and he said I was free to use it as he had not used it for ages. I don't think the thread survived the hacking though.

The site is down for a few days - server power supply has gone. Should be back online by Wednesday
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

The web site is now back up and functioning normally. Going to http://www.bobblebot.co.uk/home will get you into the site while it is still being developed. Any comments would be welcome :) .
Dave26 wrote:I'm on dial-up yea. And its always timed out for me. Would give opinions, but cant. lol
Dave
We are hopefully going to try and solve that problem soon, I will let you know how our testing goes.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The site looks nice, but there are currently far too many dead links! I know you're still building the site, but when over half the links return the dreaded "http 404 error" it doesn't look good!
Personally I would rather not see the links at all, or have them "greyed out" and inactive rather than returning errors.
All the links on the homepage link to half an image file - not a good starting point!

It all looks promising, but it needs completing (or pruning!). Keep at it!

(BTW run it all through a spell-checker! :wink: )
Gary, Team BeligerAnt