+++TITANIUM+++

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

Pete,

Not sure why but I have always found that 275rpm seems to work very well (mainly because it's the slowest my pillar drill will go :D

I never really found that cobalt drill have an issue with going through ti but breaking out through the other side is a different issue.

Maybe it's the 10mm holes i've been doing in 4mm ti that causes it but i have found that the drilling part is quite easy intil the point of the drill breaks through and then it can have a tendancy to snatch on the burrs on the edge of the hole. When this happens I found it's best to give up on the slow speeds cos the burrs just need to be ripped off so running it at full speed helps it break through.

Andy
petec

Post by petec »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:A really nice piece of work with the Ti. Just out of interest has anyone tried bending 2mm Lexan or HDPE, either hot (oven or line bender) or cold?
When I was doing heavyweights, I used to bend polycarb (Lexan) a lot. The tricky bit is to heat it slowly. If you get bubbles, it will be brittle when it goes cold. You have to heat slowly and gently - a slow oven over a wood former is good for ants.

Re: Ti bending, I did the bends for Terrior and it was quite hard - partly because it was winter - the difficult part is keeping it at cherry red while making the bend and then gradually reducing the heat. I did make a severe bend at the hinge, which broke and I had to do it again...so the flipper is actually shorter than I planned.

Thinking of using Ti for new Pants, so if anyone has any ideas of sources....
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'm not sure on a source for thin stuff, however you may want to ask Simon, he had a sizeable sheet of 0.5mm Ti, and I still have a sheet of the Grade 5 1mm stuff, and some 1.2mm unknown grade that I got given by Craig from The Saint (HW axlebot), his son Zak had a Pants kit robot thats bright orange and he called it Smarty Pants :)
petec

Post by petec »

Smarty Pants - why didn't I think of that one!? It should really be lots of primary coloured dots of course. (Ok, yes and secondary for the pedants amongst you!)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

does anyone have any titanium they could sell me (preferably 0.4mm-1.2mm thickness) i have been checking ebay but can't find any thicker than 0.25mm on buy it now.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I noticed the other day that Blacks (camping/outdoor pursuits shop) sell titanium tent pegs, some made from angle plate, others made from wire/rod.

May be of use to someone...

http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/094735/ ... ute=165468
http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/095883/ ... ute=168869

(I'm sure they were cheaper in-store)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Viper

Post by Viper »

Found this the other day. May be a more reliable supply than Ebay.

325mm X 120mm X 1mm.

It doesn't say what grade it is but if it's for car mods presumably it isn't grade 5! They also have rod on the site.

http://www.quality-tuning.com/spare-par ... rrency=GBP
Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!
http://teamsnakepit.webs.com/
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just looking on ebay and there are quite a few bits of titanium there mostly from the Isle of Wight.
Search Titanium Sheet.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

might shove my titanium on there soon
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

peterwaller wrote: mostly from the Isle of Wight.
what! why was i not informed of this! :roll:

lol, anyway, good find dude ^^
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics