AntWeight Parts Online & Offline

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Re: AntWeight Parts Online & Offline

Post by josh »

ah, I've only ever ordered the 16mm ones, they are pretty grippy in the standard rubber compound and the marked grippier compound is slightly softer but in 150g it makes very little difference through all the comparisons I have made. I have used the Ninco 21mm shore 20A tyres, that are very soft, on my drive all day and they lack grip because even with the full weight distributed only across wheels it's just not enough. much better than dycem though. Tempted to order a pair of those fingertech wheels though, have you ever used them?

most scalextric tyres perform much better with some heat in them, which I looked into a while ago but I'm sceptical of the advantages it would give as soon as the rubber picked up some dust in the arena.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Thanks Josh, I will see what I can find in the size I want.
TEAM GEEK!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I found this web site which has dimensions for most of the wheels. Hopefully I will get these in time to try out at the AWS.

http://www.getslotted.co.uk
TEAM GEEK!
James

Post by James »

I've just got a couple of these motor hubs

(attached to a motor to give some sense of size)
from
http://proto-pic.co.uk/pololu-universal ... -40-holes/

have been looking for something like these for a while, I've seen them on US websites but finally found somewhere in the UK that sells them :)

As they are made by pololu they use american sized screws, but the site sell them so its not too much of a problem.

I ordered them Wednesday evening and they arrived today. the hubs themselves were just under £5, the screws to go with them were about 60p and P&P was £2 so they are about the same price as the pololu wheels but mean you can attach you own wheels to them :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Awesome James, I've been wondering if something like this is available. They're like mini versions of the ones I have for the heavyweight. Means us lot who don't print our own can have more options than are currently available.

Are they heavy?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
James

Post by James »

Individually they weigh 3.2g each, but if you add the 4 screws to attach a wheel they weigh 4.6g each, this would be plus whatever wheel you decide to add to them.

In comparison the small pololu wheels(about 30mm) weigh 3.2g each.

so they're quite a bit heavier than using the polulu wheels once you've attached a wheel to them, but they do give you more freedom when it comes to what size wheel you use :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yeah, that's pretty good. I never really have a problem with weight. Not on the robots at least! :lol:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Looking for some advice on 2.4Ghz transmitters. I bought a DX6i a few years ago, but the price now is a lot more than I paid. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable priced transmitter?

I am also looking some a cheap brushless esc. Robotbirds do a 6A one, has anyone tried this on 3 cells?

Thanks
TEAM GEEK!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

James wrote:Individually they weigh 3.2g each, but if you add the 4 screws to attach a wheel they weigh 4.6g each, this would be plus whatever wheel you decide to add to them.

In comparison the small pololu wheels(about 30mm) weigh 3.2g each.

so they're quite a bit heavier than using the polulu wheels once you've attached a wheel to them, but they do give you more freedom when it comes to what size wheel you use :)
I used these as wheels on "El Chupacabra",and they now reside on Raoul. They are great. I have drilled holes in mine,(to increase aerodynamics. :wink: )

I also used a pair of these as cams on the elastic axe thing. :)
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:Looking for some advice on 2.4Ghz transmitters. I bought a DX6i a few years ago, but the price now is a lot more than I paid. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable priced transmitter?
If you don't mind doing a little soldering, I'd go on eBay and get hold of an old Skysport/Field Force 6 transmitter for roughly £10, buy a FrSky conversion kit and receiver for about £25 from GiantCod, wire it all together and get a 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver for £35-£40.

Some conversion kits have had their issues (my old Corona one, for instance) but myself and a few others have never had any problems with the FrSky conversion kit. The benefit as well is that all the transmitter functions (model memory, dual rates etc) are retained and can be used with the 2.4GHz kit in the same way as they were when the transmitter was operating on 35/40MHz.

A link for the conversion module and an 8ch receiver:
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-c ... 05206.html
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/24ghz-frsky-r ... 05319.html
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/24ghz-frsky-r ... 04806.html (4ch, if you need something smaller for ants)

Just had a quick search on eBay and there are plenty of transmitters coming up cheap.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.