Antweight Websites

Plug your website here

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Finally got my website up! The address is http://www.teamultimatum.tk

The server is a little slow at times, but beggars can't be choosers.

One more thing, most of the pictures and videos I have are from Simon Windisch and Oliver Steeples, if you have any objection to me having these on my site tell me and I'll take them down straight away.

Feedback, as always, will be appreciated

p.s.Don't forget to bookmark it! :razz:
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

OK, well I know there's some problems with the pictures I have hosted at brinkster, so I'm trying to find somewhere else to host them that allows external liking. This would be so much easier if I could just get my ntlworld webspace to work :sad:

I noticed that Team Beligerant are on NTL, did you have any problems with your ftp?

edit: just got in contact with NTL, and they said there was a problem with my account that stopped the FTP from working, so hopefully that'll be sorted within a few days, allowing me to have my site on a nice, stable servers and not having to mess about hosting pictures somewhere else

http://www.teamultimatum.tk

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EpicentrE on 2004-01-22 21:10 ]</font>
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

The site looks great Scott. Simple but effective, and all the link work! It's nice to see Void's evolution. You're welcome to the photos.

BTW I have about 20 minutes of footage from Reading Robot Club 2 which I can put on CDV if anyone's interested. ?2 should cover my costs.

Simon
petec

Post by petec »

Wish I'd know that before I sent your video off Simon - we could'd done a swap. I'd like a copy please - how do you want paying (WS12?)

BTW, in the January sales I bought a cheap domestic DVD recorder. It has a digital input so I can dump all virtually WS to DVD (without flash menus and stuff) on request. Drop me a mail if you want any for your collections :smile:
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

(Apologies for dropping into techno mode!)
Scott, one thing that caught me out with NTL when I started using it:
You *have* to have a file called "index.html" in your root directory, otherwise your visitors only get the NTL "you can create your site here" message. It appears "index.htm" just won't do! You need the "L" in the suffix. All other pages can be .htm and will work fine, it's just the index page.

Strangely, if you create a subdirectory, then "index.htm" will work fine there!

Hope that saves you from all the head-scratching I went through!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

That's really wierd Gary. Most sites have a default DirectoryIndex that looks something like index.htm index.html default.htm default.html, which means (in this case) that the server looks for index.htm first, then index.html.

Surely if your site didn't have a "default" page at all you'd get some kind of "page not found" 404 error. It sounds like there's an index.html file lurking around on your server and when the first choice of index.htm isn't found then it picks up the second choice index.html.

I hope that made some sense. - Simon
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Could you bring one of those CD's along to AWS13 for me please Simon?

Thanks for the advice about the .html/.htm thing Gary, at the momnent I can't access the FTP at all, but that should be sorted within a few days, and then if I have problems accesing the site I'll try that.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

OK chaps. preorder here or by email and I'll bring them along to Brighton.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Very interesting Simon. As far as I can figure out from what I've seen, NTL very kindly (?) put an index.html file in your root directory when you create your account. Their server then seems to prefer index.html over index.htm. Also, if you delete the index.html file, leaving your own index.htm, the .html file appears to re-generate all on its own! Renaming my index.htm to .html fixed the problem and I've been OK ever since, but it seems a bit weird.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

Its probably because you will be using a virtual domain through the NTL server. There will be some settings which are specific to that virtual domain and others that pick up from the overall webserver config. Hence some directories will do .html and some html/htm. Configuring webservers is a black art at the best of times.....