500 amp speed controllers

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

500 amp speed controllers

Post by muchalucha »

i am thinkink of making some 500 amp speed controllers by wiring up about 40 power transistors to a small 7 amp speed controller to give some speed control. if anybodys done this before this would be usefull as im not quite shure where to start really.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
josh

Post by josh »

y would you need 500 amp speedos?
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If only it were that simple. What you are proposing is fraught with many dangers. The fact that you are proposing to use transistors and not FET's suggest you lack experience in this area and I would ask you to think long and hard before trying this. I once built some 210Amp controllers for my first robot and they were only half bridge with relay change over. They worked for a while but while trying to move with another heavyweight on top it finally failed in a cloud of smoke. The clipping diodes had got so hot that the solder melted and they fell out the PCB. Without clipping diodes the FET's then over heated and blew. And although power electronics was not my field I was an electronics engineer for about 40 years.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

you are probably right i shouldnt attempt to do it and anway 500 amps is actully about 400 (only500 amp's at stall) so would it be possible to get an old golf cart speed controller and put a servo on the trimpot input .
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You probably could but a golf cart controller wouldn't supply anything like 400 Amps.
maddox

Post by maddox »

The only suitable sized ones I know off are the Sevcons. (Team Wyachi relabels those)
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

thanks ill have a look at that maddox
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide