Building a heavy

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Building a heavy

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I've always wanted to have a go at building a heavy, is there any really simple way of doing it?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
paul

Post by paul »

build an ant with lotsa armour :P
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

There's simple ways, but they're crap. You gan get wheelchair parts, and wheelchair controllers cheap, but they're not much use against todays heavies.

I've made simple heavyweight chassis' out of MDF and some steel, some wheelchair motors and 4qd controllers. They're fun for a while, but hard work, and expensive.

If you're looking for something as a bigger alternative to ants, i'd go for featherweights. Lots of fun, and reasonably easy to build a half decent robots (I got to the final of the only event I ever entered, with 2 drill motors, a big battery and some plywood armour). It's a shame that no ant roboteers get involved with feathers anymore, there used to be a few of us.

But if it's definatly heavies you want, prepare yourself for a difficult ride.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

It's a shame that no ant roboteers get involved with feathers anymore, there used to be a few of us.
Peh, Who said I'm not doing any featherweight? I'm building one, but I havent got my stuff wich I should had about a month or two ago :D
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Remote-Controlled Dave

I didn't say I wanted to build a GOOD heavy. lol. Just its a very interesting idea for a project to me, even if in its first fight it is decimated.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Any details? Or is it all "Top Secret"? Well if you do go ahead with it, i have some cheapo chair motors.

But I would seriously advise going feather, unless you have a whole heap of tools, plenty of electronics knowledge, lots of cash and the patience of a saint.

Jocaim, will your feather be ready any time soon? I'm going to start work on a new feather when AWS18 is over and all my ants are sorted. It'd be nice to see a familiar face at events, as i don't know the feather guys too well.
Remote-Controlled Dave

But I would seriously advise going feather, unless you have a whole heap of tools, plenty of electronics knowledge, lots of cash and the patience of a saint.
Er...I'll go feather then. lol. or stick ant.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Duff wrote: Jocaim, will your feather be ready any time soon? I'm going to start work on a new feather when AWS18 is over and all my ants are sorted. It'd be nice to see a familiar face at events, as i don't know the feather guys too well.
well, I have some stuff at a friend that made my speed controllers out of servos and relays. But if you dont remember, I dont live anywhere near England :P (even if I wanted to)
But I think you should be alright if you go to a fw event, or just go to one before building the robot and get to know some people.
Swedish style!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

So you're building a feather but not competing with it? I'm not looking forward to having that n00b tag when i get going with the feather.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

We might better we changing this conversation to the featherweight thread, but here we go!
So you're building a feather but not competing with it?
I'm building one but there is a event ones every year in Sweden. We just had the Swedish antweight championship wich is the only event this year. Antweights is the largest amount of robots we have at this moment.

And the Swedish roboticcombat history started at 2003 on a big stranded parkinglot, theres only been 4 events since 2003.
So the robot intrest in sweden isnt that big.
Swedish style!