Wheelchair motors

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Wheelchair motors

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Does anyone happen to have lying around a couple of decent wheelchair motors, or does anyone know where I can aquire some without having to go through the hideous business of trying to buy a whole chair on eBay/having to collect it myself from down south/having loads of bits I dont know ect.
I thought there'd be some kind of surplus store where I could get some but I cant find anything online.
Cheers. D.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

i've got 6, of all shapes and sizes 12v and 24v email me
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Sorry to dig up this old thread but i'm looking for some wheelchairs motors at the moment. can anyone sell me some?
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Are wheelchair motors useable for a heavyweight still???
Cheers Jim. :)
haz

Post by haz »

yep i think so, one of jack orrs heavy weights is wheelchair driven and it beat dantomkia :D
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Cool.
I stumbled upon this while looking for "stuff".
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHEELCHAIR-MOTORS ... 6387449064
I thought it looked pretty interesting,but I have too much to do as it is,so have decided not to bid.
Shame,as it seems cool???
Or should I???
What do you guys reckon???
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

wheelchair motors are no means the best motors but they'll get you around the arena.

by the way here's the video for mythras vs dantomkia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsxQZvJpQXM
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I've built (with other guys) a couple of wheelchair motor driven heavyweights, including the first Cabrakan, and our first heavy Monolith. I'm planning a new one using them too.
As with all weight catagories, there are pluses and minuses for using a certain part. The plusses are they are cheap, readily available, often come with mounts already attached, and will drive a heavyweight perfectly well if all you want is something that drives, or something to mount a weapon on to. The minuses are they don't react well to overvolting, and they come in such a wide range of types, some are weedy, some are a lot more powerful. When we bought our first wheelchair from eBay for Monolith, we lucked out, as it was a big, 'industrial strength' American type jobby, designed to cart around, ahem, our "larger cousins". However, once one of the motors eventually gave up, we couldn't replace it, so had to buy another pair.

Wheelchair motors are a bit like servos in ants - good for starters, and easy to use, but probably not the choice if you want to enhance your machine.

Monolith

Cabrakan
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

haz wrote:yep i think so, one of jack orrs heavy weights is wheelchair driven and it beat dantomkia :D
too be fair he did kind of kill himself :roll:

bumping this back up, just wondering if anybody happens to have a pair of wheelchair motors lying around, cheap or free would be great :lol: cant be bothered with the whole pick up thing from ebay. nothing pretty just something that will get a middleweight driving?

Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

same :P