rule 5g robot entry.

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
Hogi

rule 5g robot entry.

Post by Hogi »

¨ a team may enter a maximum of four robots of which three may be rollers and the other either a walker or a clusterbot.

i would like to change this rule so that it allows a team to enter 4 rollers instead of three rollers and one walker/cluster. i know this might bring down the variety aspect of the robots but it would make mean more people were able to build an effective robot to fill the fourth slot. i'm not saying that all walkers and clusterbots are ineffective as competitors however it is easier to build a good roller than it is to build a good cluster or walker. i don't mind if this doesn't go through but i thought it was a point worth raising.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
haz

Re: rule 5g robot entry.

Post by haz »

Is there any real point or issue behind this or is it just wanting to enter more robots?

I would vote to keep it as is.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Never going to happen. The point of the forth robot is that you are rewarded a fourth entry if you take on one of those two particular challenges. We are already reaching near the limits of what is possible to achieve in a day long competition with the amount of entries we do get, and there has even been talk of limiting everyone to 3 entries by some. Increasing everyone to a free reign on four entries is a ludacris suggestion. You may as well say you want the cube rule removed or the weight limit changed. These rules are set in stone. I was the one responsible for getting the clusterbot added as a fourth entry, as it used to just be walker or nothing, and sometimes I think that I made a mistake there (although I do think clusterbots add a lot of fun and variety and no one would bother with them if it wasn't for this rule).
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

fare enough. i just thought it might be nice for some people who have a lot of unused rollers to be able to use more of them. i suppose the walker/cluster challenge is rewarded by the fourth slot. thanks for clearing that up guys. it's not just because i want to be able to enter more robots, in fact i probably would've made my new one a cluster even if this had gone through. i just thought it would just make things more fun if people had free range over the fourth slot but now i understand the reasoning it's ok. i think it was deffinitely a good idea to put the clusterbot catagory as an option for the fourth slot.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Remote-Controlled Dave

You are right buddy that it WOULD be more fun. It would be more fun if we just allowed everyone to enter as many as they wanted, but it just wouldn't work in terms of a competition. You'd just have a load of structureless melees in order to accomodate everyone.
The rule is there to restrict what people can enter, for practical purposes. We all love what we do and building more robots is an itch, but we have to focus on the fact that it IS a competition too. This is why this rule is in place for AWSs, yet often dropped if anyone puts on a fun event. It's about making sure we can run a proper competition where everyone is given the same limits.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

so at my event i could say 4 robots max regardless of robot type?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Remote-Controlled Dave

If its not an AWS then you can if you want to.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

ok, thanks Dave.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights