Mini Sumo Side Scoop

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

alasdair

Mini Sumo Side Scoop

Post by alasdair »

As i am building a mini sumo for my school team, i have come up with the idea of using 'weapons' in sumo bots. Not weapons in such as antweights, but using different immobile pieces to do something to the opponent bot, ie turn over, or push out.

An example of this is peter's 'Lowblow'. The metal wire hooks at the top of the wedge can result in the opponent bot toppling over backwards if they ride up it.

A thought i have had, is to put a scoop/shovel on the front of my bot, with a twist in it, similar to the twist in a propeller. If the robot rides up this fast, then they will be sent over onto my side, upside down or toppled on their side.

It is quite hard to explain, i am trying to make a diagram.

What do you guys think?
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Look on the arm connecting to the scoop of fast dalek, and imagine it grown up a bit. if another robot drove onto the flat fast, they would ride up and tip onto their side!

Here is the site (the bottom pic is best)
http://www.windisch.co.uk/robots/fastda ... 050910.htm
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

I am trying to think of the best way to get the opponent's wheels off the ground, without using a mobile weapon.

Have you guys got any ideas?
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

A large number of hinged wedges could work. They would all individually have 0mm gc as they can all follow whatever surface they're on and If the other robot gets under one they still have the other however many wedges to get under There is also a possibility of this wedge from riding up the opponent until it found a place to push.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Does anyone with experience know if infrared can reflect off carbon fibre?
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Thanks Jack! :D

I think i have got my design good. A Simple Flat Box body, with a hinged scoop on a 5 second release mechanism. It starts pointing upwards, as there is no height restriction, and then i will use a simple circuit to unlock a latch woth a servo after 5 seconds.
I made a lego prototype and it seems good.

I will armour the bot completely in angular carbon fibre to scramble sonic and infrared sensors. I dont think it will make it completely undetectable, but it will be harder to track.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

im not 100% sure (not one of the mini-sumo guys) but i think theres a type of paint they sometimes use to reflect sensors and things 8) im almost tempted to re-build my fail of a sumo bot :P
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
slurp

Post by slurp »

Hi Alasdair,

I'd missed this thread. I read the scoop discription like a snowplough, there's nothing stopping you from using the shape or having it drop into place once the round begins.

A couple of things to consider:-
  • Starting position
  • Speed of operation
  • Ability to push
If you've got to drop the scoop into place will you be able to do that in time? Head to Head starting may be a problem but where the competition uses opposing positions that test the search more it'll be easier.

Low flush (with dohyo) scoops work well for getting under opponents but that's only one part of the problem - particularly when wheels are set to the rear of the other minisumo or they're side swiping you.

Reflective sides can work for some IR, I've not tested for sonar, but it can be limited a limited stealth sucess. I found one of my minisumo was lost by Peter's Lowblow when he got close to the painted front scoop - at a greater distance he had detection. Variations in opponents can make all the difference - I'm not saying don't bother, it all helps!

There's a ton of ideas and examples to be found on the minisumo forum too.

BEst regards,
Colin
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Thanks for your advice colin.

I have found that sonar cannot pick up fuzzy material such as carbon fibre, and it also cannot pick up things that are really soft.

If i have the scoop starting vertical, i cold make the servo actually push it down, rather than relying on gravity. I would not actually attatch it, but it would just give it a puh.

I would also have a bar coming out the front base, to hold the edge sensors, and to stop the scoop going too far down- i have found that if my scoop is pushingthe other bot off, and then my scoop hits the floor forst, then i lose.

I will laser cut a base for it out of acrylic.