MiniSumo Events

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

MiniSumo Events

Post by peterwaller »

I have moved this discussion to here as we seem to be drifting into minisumo stuff.
We started running mini sumo at the AWS's for a while but it stopped through lack of entries. Apart from that there are the two micromouse each year in Birmingham but lately I have been the only one with working minisumo's. Low blow is a bit slow so far Insumountable has been the most successful. Although during testing (see below) my 3rd robot Stealth 2 could beat Insumountable it never has at a competition.
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... h2vins.flv
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Wow, that is quick.

I would love to have a match against your minis, Peter. I daresay that Brains wouldn't do so well, but it would sure be interesting.

I, for one, will bring my mini to any events that I attend. I should have another by the Summer (this time I will program it), so if other people are happy to run it alongside then I will be happy to take part.

I am very much interested in the mini-sumo scene, it will be interesting to see what develops here :)

Regards,
Sam
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Once you get into the programming you have to start thinking about strategy. Mine is fairly simple if you can't see the opsition drive until you reach the edge then scan right and left to see if you can see anthing if not drive off at a random angle util the edge is found again. If the opposition is found keep driving towards it. Here is a brief video showing it in practice.
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... table3.flv
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

That's a very effective strategy. I was thinking something along the lines of:

If opponent is detected;
surge toward opponent
If no opponent is detected;
turn on the spot
Repeat

It is similar to yours :-?

I plan to use a combination of "clever" programming and brute force to beat my opponent.

Regards,
Sam
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

sorry to butt in here but i might as well let you guys know what im up to atm (havnt been very active here for a while)

those who read sor will know that iv been developing a little team of autonomous "sparing" bots that are aimed to help people who cant find anougher driver/or only have one robot practise against a "live" target instead of coke cans and stuff

as far as codes go it will be based on stampy (http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_sumo.shtml) the sumo bot, it drives towards the opponent and then flips it over (see the above link to see what im on about :P)

somthing like this:

pseudocode:

//scanner code
if sharp IR detects object
scanning IR turns left
else //no object detected
scanning IR turns right
//robot motion code
if scanner is pointing far left
robot turns left
else if scanner is pointing far right
robot turns right
else //scanner pointing forward
robot drives straight

for parts im probably gonna be using:

HS-311 Servo
Sharp IR
HDPE
6V NiMH Battery
2 Foam Wheels
Spacers, screws, velcro
Two HS-225MG Servos

it is built out of hdpe and runs on servos, it should end up weighing about 175g, iv been toying with the idea of fitting weapons on to them (axe, flipper etc) but that can be added (and heres the big moment :P ) buyers will

yes i said buyer, once iv got them working i plan to sell a few, hopefully this will get people more interested in stuff like this :)

the robot should be sold at around ?130 so still cheap for beginners :)

il post some pics later :)

jack[/img]
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I do like the idea of a scanning sensor, maybe its time to rebuild artifical stupidity into something that could work...
TEAM GEEK!
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Team Orr wrote:
the robot should be sold at around ?130 so still cheap for beginners :)
Are you selling these assembled?

My sumo design cost just under ?30. I think that is a really reasonable cost to a beginner. You can get other kits such as the sumovore and others in the region of ?100.

I'm not saying that yours is over-priced (far from it ... you are using some pricey parts) but a lot of beginners would not want to invest ?130 into a bot design when others are available on the market for a lot less.

I hope you don't take this post in the wrong light, I'm just trying to spark new ideas 8)

Regards,
Sam
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

yes they come fully asembled

you also have to take into consideration the price of postage from america and other far off contries, then the addition of weapons and the such, and my precious time rofl :lol:

having said that i could knock the price down i guess, im looking at it again and thinking that i could get it to about ?90+p&p, thats a bit better i think :)

by all means feel free to poke around a bit :P just helps make them better

oh, and this is starting to go completly off topic :P so il start a new thread :)

jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Team Orr wrote:yes they come fully asembled

you also have to take into consideration the price of postage from america and other far off contries, then the addition of weapons and the such, and my precious time rofl :lol:

having said that i could knock the price down i guess, im looking at it again and thinking that i could get it to about ?90+p&p, thats a bit better i think :)

by all means feel free to poke around a bit :P just helps make them better

oh, and this is starting to go completly off topic :P so il start a new thread :)

jack
Off Topic: Yeah, all of those factors you mention should contribute to the overall cost. Don't knock your price down for the sake of beating competition though. If you think your robot is worth ?130 then sell it for that :wink:

On Topic: Is anyone attending the RobotChallenge in Vienna this year? I will be there with Brains.
slurp

Post by slurp »

thebeardedone wrote:Off Topic: Yeah, all of those factors you mention should contribute to the overall cost. Don't knock your price down for the sake of beating competition though. If you think your robot is worth ?130 then sell it for that :wink:
I guess it takes time to design down to a cost, personally I've started using some low cost motor gearboxes from MUTR even with a controller and motor driver such as the L293 it chops a big cost out when compaired to Servos for drive.... they might not suit every one, just my choice ;)
On Topic: Is anyone attending the RobotChallenge in Vienna this year? I will be there with Brains.
I don't think I'll make it but in the past there's been a couple of users on the minisumo forum attend - RiO and sap1975

Best regards,
Colin