PIC interfacing

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

PIC interfacing

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have got my micorchip development board out its dusty box and have got leds blinking etc. Are there any good resources for interfacing them online? I am struggling to find a diagram that shows the minimum requirements to power the chip up.

The chip i have is a 18f452 and the board is a picdem 2 plus demo board.
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

One thing the PIC is not short of is information! :D
There are numerous web sites around, with everything from guides for complete beginners to applications notes aimed at professional developers. There are also possibly more books about PICs than any other microcontroller.

Try the Microchip website as a first stop, then Google - try "PIC tutorial" - there won't be a shortage of hits!

I find it's best to have a real goal in mind, so think about what you want to do then look for info on a specific application or task.

Depending on the exact PIC you have, you may only need to apply 5V and 0V to get it to run. You may also need to add a crystal and a couple of capacitors if it doesn't have an internal oscillator (can't remember if all PICs do).

Hope this helps
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I'm afraid I don't know much about the PIC processors as I use the ATMEL ones but I would be interested in hearing what you are doing with it.
For autonomous robots there are the minisumo and micro mouse forums that are very useful.
http://er-online.co.uk/minisumo/forum/i ... d6f8996b38
http://www.micromouseonline.com/forum/
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Thanks for the forum links will keep reading. Atm i have designed a small programming board with input and ouput pins on connectors, will head out to maplin this weekend and get some fresh etching solution (mine has been sitting there a while) as well as a few more connectore.

I have got pwm outputs working on the development board as well as reading the adc. I hope to be able to use this board as a starting point adding on a motor control board and a sensor board.
TEAM GEEK!