MicroSumo

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

peterwaller

MicroSumo

Postby peterwaller » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 am

I am starting to rekindle my interest in autonomous robots and have decided to try my hand at a microsumo.
These are 50 mm cube but it has to fit in the position it starts in and 100 gms total weight.
Here are a couple of shots of the cad.
Side view:
From above:
The vertical PCB means the opponent detection sensors and the edge detection sensors can all fit on the same board.
Here is the basic chassis and wheels with a mock up piece of PCB.
I have just finished the PCB layout and sent it to Ragworm for manufacture today.

peterwaller

Re: MicroSumo

Postby peterwaller » Fri May 05, 2017 10:22 am

Board arrived Saturday morning and is now built up and working.
A couple of errors crept in I put the second motor on Timer 1 which turned out to be the 16 bit timer so I had to fit a couple of links to get it on Timer 2.
Also on the new pad layout I created to enable the edge detectors to be mounted at right angles I got a couple of pads swapped so I printed some small holders that enabled a little leeway in how it was connected.

peterwaller

Postby peterwaller » Sat May 13, 2017 4:07 pm

The small 6 mm motor gearboxes didn't seem to have enough power so I have reverted to the standard antweight units.
To get them in the 50 mm cube I had to mount them vertically which does make it a little top heavy.
Here is the hardware still 30 gms under weight even when carrying 20 gms of brass plates.

peterwaller

Postby peterwaller » Mon May 15, 2017 2:59 pm

I managed to hack the software from one of my mini sumo's to get it moving with the edge detectors working but I haven't looked at the opponent detectors yet.
https://youtu.be/zmCEVsl6dkk
Normally these will fight in a much smaller arena.

Shakey

Postby Shakey » Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 am

It looks like you're getting pretty creative with your mini sumo! I hope you do well if you get a chance to compete again.
Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey:
AWS 44, 45, 49 & 51 Winner - Far too many robots to list!
I sell Antweight Parts, 3d Printing and Custom Designs!

peterwaller

Postby peterwaller » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

I have done alright in the past as they don't rely on me to drive them but I will be competing at the Birmingham City Uni on the 24th June with the mini sumo for the first time in 6 years. My 3 mini's are more or less the same as before except for better tyres and a new chassis for Insumountable so they may well be outstripped by newer designs. The Micro will if there are any others there take part but I just don't know if there are any about.
Here is the finished micro in a micro sizes arena it seems to work OK but does suffer from tunnel vision.
https://youtu.be/B82rcX7LU3s

Shakey

Postby Shakey » Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 pm

The microsumo bot seems like it could do with a sensor on each side or pointing diagonally out of the front so it doesn't pass by the other bot.
Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey:
AWS 44, 45, 49 & 51 Winner - Far too many robots to list!
I sell Antweight Parts, 3d Printing and Custom Designs!

peterwaller

Postby peterwaller » Sat May 20, 2017 10:07 am

Yes I think you are right I chose the LED's and sensors to be narrow beam (30 degrees) to try and get more range but with the smaller arena that may not be as important.

Return to “Autonomous and Intelligent Systems”