asus eee pc

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

asus eee pc

Post by muchalucha »

for a while now i have been thinking sereosly about buying an asus eee pc
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/
they are super small and look really good but i would love to know of any pros or cons from any of you that have used them.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

It looks a good machine. Does't mention the price though. Do you know it muchalucha? I'll probably wait for a gadget show raiting before I think about buying one
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

I just ordered one for 238 pounds, incl. P&P.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
muchalucha

asus eee pc

Post by muchalucha »

leo words can bot describe how jealous i am
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

They are ok little laptops, nothing fancy but everything you would need in a small laptop is in there. It does take some getting used to the operating system but you can always install XP on it if you want. The OS out of the box is quite nice, very fast, and has all the important software on it that you could need.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

hows the browser it does support flash... right??
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Yes but since its a linux version of Flash any updates on Flash are not going to be as straightforward as in Windows.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

ive heard that linux is apig to install things on but how bad is it to install lets say audacity
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Thats not exactly true. There are many different distributions of Linux, and on one version it is easier to install things than on the other. The EEE-PC uses Xandros which is a slightly different version of Debian. The upside to that is that Debian has an excellent system for installing and maintaining programs, but Flash is not among it.

Some software is distributed differently for different versions of Linux, and not all are equally simple. Macromedia decided to do one distribution method and give out a manual how to do it for other versions which is by no means easy.

Audacity should be not a big problem, all you need to do is connect to the web, make sure that in /etc/apt/sources.list you insert a line for the debian repository (deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main) and use apt-get install Audacity.

I've read that there is now also a eee-Xubuntu version out, which is at the moment by far the best Linux distribution. I use Kubuntu on my regular laptop, because I like KDE more than Gnome or regular X.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
muchalucha

auss eee pc

Post by muchalucha »

generally would you recomend it for the money it is or would the money be better spen on my new design for a heavyweight
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide