Robot questions d

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

malivoirec

Robot questions d

Post by malivoirec »

I wonder if any one could answer any of these questions that I still cannot answer. I was helping a primary school for my D of E award and they wanted to know more about robotic combat (inquisitive little things arn't they ( :o ).) Anyway if anybody can answer (of invent an answer to) the following questions it would be a great help (I promosed I'll tell them next week I see them.)

1. What is the collective term for robots and roboteers?
2. Was there any other robotic combat TV shows in the world besides RW and Battlebots? If so are they still going?

See if you can rack your brain round these.

P.S I didn't know weither this should have gone into Q and A as this subject is a little less techy that the usual ones. I it should have gone than sorry.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
Craig_Anto3

Re: Robot questions d

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

malivoirec wrote: 1. What is the collective term for robots and roboteers?
2. Was there any other robotic combat TV shows in the world besides RW and Battlebots? If so are they still going?

See if you can rack your brain round these.
1. an event
2. Robot wars, Robot wars extreme, robot wars extreme warriors, Battlebots, battlebots IQ, Robotica have allseen airtime and none are still being shown, Battlebots IQ is however still running
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

According to Wikipedia, it is "a cog of robots", although this is marked as "spurious" so I'm not sure where it came from or whether anyone actually uses it.

The term "roboteer" was invented by an American journalist - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roboteer

The internet has let me down over a collective noun for roboteers per se, but there are two suggestions for engineer: "a geek of engineers" or "a design of engineers" - see http://www.ojohaven.com/collectives/

I think Craig has exhausted all the possiblities for TV robotic combat, unless you count the episode of Scrapheap Challenge where they had to make full-size cars into R/C fighting machines!

BTW this definitely belongs in the OT section! :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

I think there was a Japanese series too, but couldn't tell you what it was (and it might be tricky to find in Google). There was also the German/Dutch version of RW and I believe there was an Australian one....these might be dead ends. There was also the Discovery Home and Leisure series that a few of us were involved in - can't remember what that was called now - got it on video somewhere.

My favorite collective is "a confusion of project managers"....:-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

How about;

A Bodging of Roboteers?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

BNN Robotwars series 1 and 2 were filmed at the same time as series 5 and 6 of the British version. The Germans on RTL II had one Robotwars competition during Series 6. Belgians entered our Dutch competition and the Swiss and Austrians joined the German competition. Because so litte German heavyweights existed, some dutch robots were entered as being German.

Robot is derived from the Chzech word Robota, meaning forced or tedious labour.

Definition of a roboteer according to www.roboteers.com:

A Roboteer is a person who designs, builds, studies, or controls robots.

Much like a "Rocketeer" except that a Rocketeer, as defined by The American Heritage Dictionary, is "a person who designs, builds, studies, or pilots rockets."
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My favorite collective is " Wunch Bankers "
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

I think I read somewhere that there was a South African RW program. Although they showed mostly featherweights as there are about 5 or 6 robots that were built there at the time (excluding Crushtation that was built in Britain) such as Yeborobo (competed in the 2nd world championships but immobolised after it moved 1 metre :roll: .) However the program was still going untill a few years ago when it was cut by the station due to lack of numbers. ( :cry: )

P.S: How come this is always the reason why robotic combat programs are dropped on terrestrial and freeveiw channels. Why can't it be an exiting reason like that it was so popular that it was bought by Sky sports. I mean, I was looking on Sky sports a few days ago and they were showing international egg throwing for goodness sake ( :roll: ). If they think that people will be wanting to watch that in stead of robotic combat than I wander who or what is controlling our TVs and what they were doing at the time ( :o ).

Last cookie
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Battlebots had a lot of legal issues to contend with, so for a long while no TV station wanted to touch it.

Perhaps with Robogames growing bigger and bigger every year, it might get picked up by an american station there.

Re-runs of battlebots still get broadcasted on Jetix here in Holland, and Robotica on Discovery Science.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

Hmph ( :x ), lucky.

Last cookie