Films

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

olivers

Films

Post by olivers »

Saw loads of films recently and the OT has been a bit quiet recently. Will try not to put any spoilers.

Waiting. Didn't really enjoy this, aimed at younger audiences as loads of toilet humour.

Da Vinci Code. Hope the book is better. Made loads of plot jumps and went from A-B too quickly. Saw the end coming.

X-Men 3. Good closure for the series. It goes completely different from the comics so was a bit disapointing. Loads of people die.

Out of the above X-Men 3 was the best.
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Ohh I saw a few films recently

X men I agree with oliver

Da vinvi code I liked. Like most books made into films you alwase get the impression of it getting rushed though.

as for a few animes

Ninka scroll. I watched it ages ago but decided to watch it again. Dam good film

Kai doh maru, A short film which trys to include a big plot. It doesnt work and the story is quite bad.

kiki's delivery service. Yep a girlie studio ghibi movie. But hey i like em and this was is also good.

Princess Minoko another Ghibi movie but defenetly not girl, youd like this one flippit. Giant wolfs. Good movie.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Bet no one has stayed until the end of the credits of X3, you will all have to go again, there is a little bit more 8)

Also have just watched King Kong, was ok but not the sort of film you can watch over and over.
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I thought the DaVinci code was fairly bad. Long, monotonous, didn't raise any kind of pulse throughout. Best to read the book so your imagination can paper over the flimsy excuse for a plot.
I've seen all those anime ones too. Quite a big fan of Ghilbli. Ninja Scroll is awesome. Kai doh maru, I agree with Marco.
Going to see X-Men at some point in the next few days, also United 93 and maybe The Squid and the Whale, but my budgets wearing thin.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
olivers

Post by olivers »

You mean the bit at the end playing chess?

Saw Aeon Flux today, was let down, nothing special.

I love Kiki's Delivery Service. It has to be the best Studio Ghibli film i've seen. Better than Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke.
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

I duno princess mononoke did kick quite a lot of butt. But now that I think about it I agree with you.

I watched yesterday the first episode of the Naruto english dub.
I tell ya I agree it sucks in comparrison to the Origanal sub
They have changed little bits here and there.
However the main thing that really got me was the air brushed Iruka's nose bleed.
What has the world coming too....its a nose bleed.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Remote-Controlled Dave

Just got back from seeing X-Men, that bit at the end of the credits spoilt the whole film! Why can't they just leave it alone, let it end without throwing a limp spanner in the works (and no Oliver, not the chess bit).
The rest of the film was ok, a mixture of cliched, mundane and exhilarating. It was like the first one in reverse: drab beginning, great end.
Going to Ghibli, I think my favorite is Spirited Away, although Mononoke and Kiki are awesome. Anyone seen Grave Of The Fireflies?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Hehe, spot the media studies student. I am impressed with big explosions and pretty colours, although i never understood why was it light when they lifted up the bridge and dark when they got off it, and all the car lights where lit up as well :P did they go back to there cars to turn on the lights, or do americans drive with there lights on in the day time. :lol:
TEAM GEEK!
olivers

Post by olivers »

Just read that there are apparently 3 different endings after the credits. Guess I will have to wait for the DVD.

I have both anime and live action Grave of the Fireflies, the anime is far better. People say it is supposed to be the saddest anime ever, i'm not convinced. I prefer Millenium Actress far better and at the end it is more relaxed, the music suits it more too (I have the soundtrack somewhere).

I did notice the airbrushing of Iruka's nosebleed, not sure how they will cope with Gaara's desert coffin and some of the other stuff in the genin (or chunin) trials later in the series.

I have too much anime, the top 5 films off the top of my head in no order:

Millenium Actress
Kiki's Delivery Service
Patlabor (First movie)
Ghost in the Shell (didn't like Innocence)
Akira
Remote-Controlled Dave

I'm not a media studies student, I'm a film studies student, theres a whole world of difference! We're an awful lot more pretentious for a start. lol. Good point out about the cars on the bridge though, I never thought of that one Hib.
Oliver, Millenium Actress better than Fireflies? No way, can't agree with you there.
Top 5 anime in no particular order?

Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away
Ninja Scroll
Voices of a Distant Star
Tokyo Godfathers
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39