University

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

University

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Apart from the usual stuff that idiots always say (work hard, play hard! Get drunk loads! ect ect) does anyone have any proper advice for someone about to start Uni and meet loads of new people in a few weeks?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

well i'm just off to uni too so cant help really but no ur limits is always a good one
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Pick a course you'll enjoy (I didn't, and ended up dropping out :cry:), drink copious amounts of alcohol, and take advantage of all the cool discounts you'll get.

Where are you off and what are you studying? Lucky git!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

A couple of notes

You take an alarm clock to uni, not to wake up to go to lectures or even to be on time for exams-but as not to miss lunch.

Why it's always good to have a little sob when your parents drop you off at the start of term
-It makes it easier to get money out of them later on.

The recommended daily intake of alcohol units. And how to get round it.
- One unit of alcohol is generally equated with half a pint of normal strength beer, a small glass of wine, or a single messure of sprits. The recommend daily intake for women is 2-3 units. the recommended daily intake for men is 3-4 units.
For the average student this presents a problem.
But there is a way round it. All you need do is invoke the L.A.D.D.I. This is the Lifetime Average Daily Drink Index. This allows your daily consumption of alcohol to be averaged out over your lifetime.
So when you take into account that you proberly didn't drink much alcohol as a small - to medium sized child, and proberly won't be allowed to drink later in life when your kidneys fail, then you can drink as much as you like now.

A few great quotes from student hand books which seemed to be thrown at me from all directions. First thing is talk to people, after that as long as you find friends and enjoy your course there is nothing to worry about.
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Where are you off and what are you studying? Lucky git!
I'm off to Leeds Trinity and All Saints (or The One In Leeds No One Knows Exists, Including The Insurance People...) to study Film. Can't wait!

Hopefully, future AWS venue too if I can swing it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
josh

Post by josh »

oh damnit if an aws is held there ill have to give it a miss :cry:
Jon_Gold

Post by Jon_Gold »

Does anyone do Engineering?

I was thinking about doing Mechanical Engineering, because Mechanics is so, so easy at A Level, but I was reading the Wikiversity page on it and it looks to be pretty dull.

Structural Engineering any different I wonder?

They seem like the only two money-making courses that I'd be any good at...
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I do engineering, but more systems and electronics. Can't say it is very interesting to study, but do it as i think i can get an intersting job. Carefully look into each of them all i can suggest.
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I consider myself to be very lucky. More years ago than I care to remember :( I did a degree in Electronic Engineering. I now spend my days doing an interesting job designing systems and boards and generally solving problems. Then I come home and do the same thing for fun!

I consider myself very lucky because I get paid to do something I enjoy doing so much that I do it in my own time too.

There are many many aspects to mechanical engineering. From fluid dynamics to rotating machines to thermodynamics and so on. You have to learn them all at Uni but most people end up only using a few areas in their career.

Choose carefully - you could end up doing something really interesting for the next 40 years if you make the right choice!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

I've got more practicle advise than stuff relating to the course - don't pick something cos you think it's going to be easy. You spend a lot of time on things at uni, and sometimes you just long for a challege.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39