Bamzoooki

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Bamzoooki

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi there,

does anyone play BAMZOOKi?

I can't cut and paste from this terminal but go to bbc.co.uk and search on Bamzooki.

They are basically virtual robots, and kids design them and battle them on Children's BBC. But it looks like there's more to them then just a children's game.

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi Simon,

I (James) play Bamzooki, its great fun. Bethany and I got through the first 2 parts of the selection process to go on the t.v. we got down to the last 70 teams (out of 400)but didn't get on :cry:

It can get complicated but its worth the effort when it works. The new series is being filmed now and will be on cbbc in the Autumn.

James
josh

Post by josh »

i have tried it and got very frustrated coz it kept freezin my comp :evil:
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Bamzooki is one of the best free PC programs I've come across!
It is rather power-hungry, and the first version did have a few bugs (it crashed sometimes). The new version seems more stable, but you do need a reasonably powerful PC to run it - there's a lot of number-crunching going on behind the scenes!

If you try to get something going from scratch, you are guaranteed some frustration - it really is not simple! The examples and ready-built legs are great though. Once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to improve on what you've got. That's the beauty of software - it's very quick to try things out.

I was really hoping James and Bethany got on the show, because the one thing I can't quite work out is how the Zooks appear to run on the table in front of the teams, and appear to be visible to the teams as well as the viewers...

Meanwhile, here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bamzooki/
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

This is great fun, can't seem to get a fast spriter working. But got over 800cm in the block push which is a record, but i think i am a little to old for the show :lol:
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

There is a terribly technical descripton of how each camera has its own digital processor, and it reads its position by bar codes in the ceiling.

Good luck for next time Bethany and James.

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

A fast zook is certainly a challenge, mine always seem to end up with their legs tangled! I'm amazed at the quality of the zooks on the TV show, all created by primary school kids. Lets just hope they don't start designing things in the real world!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The most annoying things i found with this is the sprint, high jump and hurdles, With the right set up it is possible to move before the ''go!'' so in sprint and hurdles you can cross the line in a fraction of a second, which isn't very fair. Also the high jump is a bit random. But I like the lap challenge :D

Good luck to whoever compete's.

-Gary, some of those zooks are amazing, can't belive no one has made this sort of thing up before
TEAM GEEK!
josh

Post by josh »

gary-ho says they arnt :P
Bouncy_Bot

Bamzooki

Post by Bouncy_Bot »

Bamzooki's good, if you can get the software to work

The first edition didn't work on anything except some laptops and a few computers.

Now the've updated it and it works on XP but on any other windows model, it comes up saying that it wasn't installed with the starting program, so it wont work :-?
Nick, Ambitious Ants

"All you have to do, is go up to somebody's house, ring the bell, and say, 'Trick or Treat!' "
"Are you sure it's legal?"
"Of course it's legal."
"I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble."