Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have really struggled to get images below 5kb any tips?
TEAM GEEK!
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Well, you could use Photobucket, the place where you save your pictures, edit it by 75% - 50% - 25% from original size. But then it gets all blurry and not the same quality.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

When you save an image in JPG format, the image is compressed.
The compression algorithm is slightly lossy, so some degradation of the image takes place.
In your photo-editing program, you need to find out how to control the JPEG compression. For normal photo-editing work you need to set the compression to minimum to preserve the image quality. However, for images viewed on a PC monitor, you really don't need all that quality, and you can wind the compression up quite a long way before you see any difference. (If the picture looks speckly you've gone too far! Be sure not to overwrite the original image, as you can't undo the loss of quality!)

If you use GIF format (so you can have a transparent background) you will have to reduce the colour depth to 256 colours. However, it hardly ever shows unless you look *really* carefully. You may find you are using even less than 256 colours, in which case you can optimise the palette (which is stored in the GIF image) and save some more bytes.

Depending on the image, you may find GIF gives a smaller file than JPEG, or vice-versa.

BTW I use an old copy of Paintshop Pro for (almost) all my graphics stuff, it gives a lot of control over final file size by playing around with compression, palettes, etc.

Andy, I grabbed this pic of ICant(?) off of Oliver's site and got it down to 1.4k without any difficulty.
Mail me if you're still having problems.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I think the main problem is software, all i have in some freeware thing from ages ago. I haven't been able to find any compression rate toolbars. Will have to get a copy of paintshop pro or photoshop from someone.

PS, that is anticipation :D
TEAM GEEK!
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Gary how could u get Icant mixed up with anticipactionaryogonmajiggy

I honestly dont know how u guys got such big pics into ur porfiles i had trouble with mine and had to trim it right down, poor Tony Montana
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Maybe a bit bigger, but this would look much cooler craig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/Tak/tonym.gif
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Rhys, that image is actually only 12kB! Shows what can be done if you know what you're doing and have the necessary tools!

Andy/Craig: Apologies, I blame Oliver for not naming his pictures! :D
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Can anyone scale down a photo for me so I can have an avatar? My PC dont even have a save as Jpeg option...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

My PC dont even have a save as Jpeg option...
:o
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I like your new avatar Joacim. :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt