Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

6 iirc. Pants, Dozer, Odessy, Cannon Fodder, Toecutter.. THough I may be TOTALLY wrong!
Team 'In Theory'
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

There is some info on the history of AWS on Oliver's site:
http://www.antweight.co.uk
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
olivers

Post by olivers »

AWS1 (going to my old site)

http://freespace.virgin.net/oliver.stee ... tworld.htm

Dozer, Odyssey and TYPE-0 Oliver
Cannon Fodder and Pants PeteC
Tyrant Jools

6 ants in total, the pics are good as Pants hasn't really changed in appearance at all. I like my closing paragraph "Thanks to everyone that attended, I hope there will be more people for the next world series and hopefully we will be able to have an antweight fight at RW"

Now here we are 6 years later with a few more people.

Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Now here we are 6 years later with a few more people.
Ironic, uh? Who would guess that three persons that build tiny toys to run on a plywoodsheet (or whatever you used), and try to push the other one off, would become a sport among many young and old people?

Lol :)
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
petec

Post by petec »

It was MDF actually :-) The black board arena we used (Pants Playground) was made out of the side of an old desk....ah, those were the days....

Since then, 16 World Series, twice on RW, once on Discovery, numerous other events like the SAC and Simon's series, at least 5 book and mag articles (that I know of), lots of different people and robots at the events and contenders and builders in at least 8 countries over the years....all making the most successful run of robot combat anywhere in the world. ...and we've only just started :-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You two have got a lot to answer for. I wouldn't care to estimate how many hours or how much money I have spent on this hobby of ours and it's all your fault. Mind you I did start with a heavyweight before I descovered Ants and compared to them this is cheap.
olivers

Post by olivers »

If I had a pound for every ant builder in the world.

Hang on a minute, perhaps we need a membership fee.

PeteC's summary is spot on. It's good as we are still around when RW and the FRA aren't. We still continue with WS at a steady pace making technical advancements all the time and getting new blood in.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

olivers wrote: It's good as we are still around when RW and the FRA aren't.
Oliver I agree with you on RW not being around but the FRA is still going strong. Or are you making a point which I am missing?
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
olivers

Post by olivers »

FRA still going strong, I'd tend to disagree from what i've heard.

If it's still going then it's not as big and doesn't have as much support than it used too. Correct me i'f i'm wrong.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Oliver I think the vast majority of roboteers would disagree with you. Aside from Antweights the FRA is the assosication for all robots within the Uk (and to an extent Ireland). It may not run any events (but if you read its aims it never planned to run any) but it sets the rules for Robotics within the Uk and to an extent the rest of Europe although the Dutch etc are free to change them they generally run to the FRA rules. There are regular FRA meetings aswell as regular FRA socials between roboteers. I think you will find that what you have heard is wrong.

It is bigger than it used to be (more members this year than last year and were only about 1/2way through the year). Its rules are used by most if not all events in the Uk so it must be supported.

Anyway i think we have wandered way off topic. This topic was intended to be about age. I started when I was 14 and still do a small bit of ants now that I am 18 but mainly concentrate on bigger classes which I find more fun.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk