Antweights and Arial Dogfights

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Antweights and Arial Dogfights

Post by Simon Windisch »

I was reading a book on the Japanese Zero fighters and I saw certain parallels between arial dogfights and antweight battles.

In WWII the most powerful and nimble plane with the best pilot tended to win. The Zero outmanouvered the Wildcat and then the Hellcat outmanouvered the Zero. The Spitfire beat the ME109.

Anyone agree or disagree, and are speed and nimbleness and a good driver the most important factors in winning antweight battles?

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Cant really agree with you on speed Simon. The one that wins most out of mine is as slow as a mule train on sunday...fink its more about resiliance. If your ant can sit stern in the middle of the arena and keep going for the full bout, you have more chance of a faster ant making a mistake, due to it needing faster reactions from the driver. I agree with control, reakon many ants have perished simply through lack of control or bad driving (I know my walker has this problem!) Speed helps, but at the expense of other things. I think a good ant is in the design and execution of the build, plus driver ability. Which means I'm pretty much (insert "f" word here).
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Driver ability certainly plays a big part. However, I'd say that robustness and reliability are also important in a big competition.
Too much speed and/or the inability to control it can be positively dangerous in the restricted space of an ant arena.
Speed does help to dodge or outrun an opponent but I don't think it's necessarily an overriding factor.
Of our three ants, I think RampAnt is generally the best performer, it's not fast, but it's as tough as old boots and (so far) very reliable.

Of course, luck also plays a big part (ours seems to involve being drawn against MilitAnt in the first round - not the best start to a competition!)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I think it is about tactics as well, there is more different types of approaches to antweights then shoot your apponant in planes this works.
However looking at antomkia and militant, although antomkia is fast it is also robust and can drive arround with some skill, militant which is also very tough sits and waits. Who wins is anyones guess(antomkia :) )
TEAM GEEK!
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

hmm well speed really shouldnt be considered a benifit.
I know thats alot coming from me. But i use speed cause i think i can handle it. I use it to my advantage driving wise. And to my disadvantage building wise :oops:
I mean if u think back which has won the most aws?
non speed 12
speed 4
but considering the first speed hacked ants emerged in aws 7
Its realistically

non speed 6
speed 4

So no obveous advantage. But if u wanted to work it out properly u need to count how many speed hacked ants have entered in the aws from aws 7. Then calculate there winning avg. Some one with alot of time on there hands stand up :P
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->