Will antweights create me problems at the customs?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

andrea.taras

Will antweights create me problems at the customs?

Post by andrea.taras »

Hello roboteers! I know it might be a stupid question, but I feel safer asking you people :) I bet a lot of you have gone abroad with your own bots. My worry is, will an antweight bot or parts of it create me problems at the customs check point??
I'm particularly worried about the second part of the question, since my girlfriend is coming to see me from USA this Xmas and she is taking me some antweight stuff (two Pololu motors, a Sabertooth 2X5 and some wheels and hubs, so no blades or items that may hurt). She is afraid they might confiscate those items. Where do you think is better to store these things in order for them to be safer? Carry on or luggage?
Oh, and just so I know, if I had to travel with my bot let's say, for instance, for an AWS, what precautions will I have to adopt? Will I have to disassemble my bot before I leave and then rebuild it once I get in the UK? Thanks a lot!!
Andrea
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I brought back some parts I bought when I was in Canada. I just put them in a cardboard box labled robot parts in my fencing bag. Which had swords and various tools in there. As the fencing bag was over sized I stood next to the security guard as it went through, so he could have stopped me then.

I would put them in hold luggage as they would look more dodgy in hand luggage.
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, hold luggage shold be fine, and as Andrew says, labellng the parts is a good idea.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As long as the are not in the carry on luggage you are normally OK.
I have read that US airlines are a bit sensitive when it comes to Lithium batteries but your stuff should not be a problem.
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

ahhh I feel relieved :) Thanks!! Of course if you have any other tip, just tell me ;)
Andrea