less than 6kb?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Jonny

less than 6kb?

Post by Jonny »

today i was thinking about putting up a profile picture. i tried using photoshop to make the jpeg smaller but all i could get it down to was 37 kb :-? so i was wondering what programs you all used to compress yours?
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Try saving as a .png or .tif they have reduced colours. Also if it is not already too small make it smaller.
TEAM GEEK!
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i converted the picture to 60x80 resolution. then saved it as png and it was 67kb. after that i turned it into jpeg and put it as lowest quality which got it down to 31kb. i tried putting it in black and white but that made it to 34.1kb :(
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

found a wierdly large amount of 4kb pictures buried deep down in my computer :D thanks for your help anyway!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

For very small images, GIF is usually a better bet than JPEG. It is limited to 256 colours, but it does let you have a transparent colour. Not usually great for photos, but OK for icons.

BTW you can embed the colour palette into a GIF image, so you can effectively choose which 256 colours you use, but maybe that's going a bit too far...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt