Kindle

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Kindle

Post by EpicentrE »

Hi all,

This is a bit of a long shot, but being as we're a forum full of geeks I guessed it was worth a try.

I'm currently considering buying a Kindle (a Kindle 2, to be precise), mainly for reading Manga, but also for normal books too. Before I commit though, I'd love to try one out, see how it felt, what it looked like, how the screen was, etc. If anyone has one that they'd be willing to let me have a play with at an event, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

No Kindle here I'm afraid. Wait 'til June for an iPad? you'll get colour that way.

Simon
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I'm not really interested in the iPad, I don't need the vast majority of the features, and it's far more expensive. On top of that, I generally dislike Apple devices anyway, and I hate touch-screens. I was delighted when I noticed the Kindle had proper buttons and a proper keyboard.

As geeky as I am, I'm not normally into the super-portable do-everything gadgets that seem to be all the rage at the moment. My MP3 player is some fairly old huge thing, and my phone is used for only texting and calling.

One thing I don't do anymore, which I wish I did more of, is reading. Manga inparticular is a pain because one Manga book doesn't last very long, so you need to have a lot to last as long as a traditional book, which simply isn't practical to travel with. Those're the two main reasons I'm considering one.

I heard from someone earlier that some Waterstones stores have some on display to try out, so I think that's probably going to be my best bet.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk