Any old consoles (games)?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

What's your favorite old console?

XBOX
7%
N64
No votes
SNES
No votes
Playstation
47%
NES
7%
Dreamcast
13%
Megadrive
13%
Master System
No votes
Gameboy
13%
Other (sorry I'm bored of typing now!)
No votes

Total votes: 15

petec

Any old consoles (games)?

Post by petec »

Some of you will know that I have a modest collection of old games consoles. So, if any of you have any old games knocking around that you might want to get rid of, why not drop me a PM and let me have first refusal.

Cheers, PeteC
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
olivers

Post by olivers »

Here are the consoles I still have (sorry Pete, mine to keep).

Gameboy (original)
GBA
DS
DS Lite
DSi
Gamecube
Wii (well 2 as 1 is Japanese)
Dreamcast

Needless to say I love Nintendo consoles. Still like the Dreamcast, had some classic games like Chu Chu Rocket, Metropolis Street Racer and Shenmue.

Never liked the PS or Xbox, prefer playability over graphics.
petec

Post by petec »

olivers wrote:Here are the consoles I still have (sorry Pete, mine to keep).

Gameboy (original)
GBA
DS
DS Lite
DSi
Gamecube
Wii (well 2 as 1 is Japanese)
Dreamcast

Needless to say I love Nintendo consoles. Still like the Dreamcast, had some classic games like Chu Chu Rocket, Metropolis Street Racer and Shenmue.

Never liked the PS or Xbox, prefer playability over graphics.
Have to say I've been a bit underwhelmed by the DSi - need better games to download.

I LOVE my Dreamcast though - Shenmue is just wonderful...
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

I still own

Playstation (original)
Playstation 2 (slim)
Playstation 3
PSP (original)
Gameboy colour
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SD (tribal)

I hate to say it (being a loyal playstation fan) but I still think that there are still some N64 games that I think is worth buying today. Such as:

Donkey Kong
Smash brothers 2
Goldeneye
Mario cart 64
WWF no mercy
WCW/NWO revenge

Howver these consoles are mine to keep.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
petec

Post by petec »

Goldeneye is still the best shooter. Others have tried to match, but not succeeded. Actually, despite the criticism it received at the time, the N64 was a really good console.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

dont get me started...iv got dozens of the games/consoles...

8)

what games u after mate, iv got some ps2 1's if u want them?
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Goldeneye itself, I agree, is the best FPS of all time. However I tried to play it again recently, and after getting so used to the precision you can achieve in movement in aiming using a mouse & keyboard on PC FPSs, I just couldn't get the hang of it. I make a point not to play FPSs on consoles because of that reason. And yes, I completed and unlocked everything on both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark :P.

It's one of those games that if they remade it for the PC, not changing anything whatsoever (except being able to use a mouse for aiming, same as other FPSs, of course), I'd happily pay the price of a new game (or more) for it.

the N64 and Dreamcast were both fantastic consoles, but I had to vote Dreamcast, just because even now, me and my friend dig it out and play some Powerstone or HotD now and then. I even re-completed Sonic Adventure 2 only a couple of months back, which was the last good thing to come out of the Sonic franchise before they turned into blathering idiots and completely ruined it. The N64 of course has Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, as well as Ocarina of Time (the best Zelda game ever, imo), but they're not the type of games I find myself going back and playing very often.

The PS1 was a big step forwards in consoles - and while it has a lot of my all time favorite RPG-like games on it (FFVII, Vandal Hearts, Alundra, Little Big Adventure), I don't find myself playing my old PS1 games as much as some of my other old consoles. And if I do, I can play them on my PS2, so the console itself is fairly pointless now.

I have the general feeling that Video Games arn't in a great place at the moment. Great games are still coming out, but they're just not the same quality as old-school things. Obviously the graphics have improved, but the majority of games seem that they're either trying so desperately to be different and unique that it ruins them, or that they've gone the opposite way and tried to make everything as bland and simple and boring so it appeals to the widest audience possible (Halo, Call of Duty).

Apart from the continued obsession that is World of Warcraft, it's rare these days that a game comes out that truly engages and immerses me - the last being Portal or Crysis, I think - and even then they're completed within a week at best. It's a long shot from when it would take months to get through a huge, complex, and challenging game, and it was so good, that once you'd finished it you found yourself wanting to go back and get all the secret things, even if it meant trying the same, very difficult thing, for hours on end until you finally cracked it. That just doesn't seem to happen these days.

Maybe it's just nostalgia. Maybe I'm getting old :P.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

aye scott, i prefer the old broken sword games to most of the modern ones...lol i even prefer prisoner of war to fifa :) my friends think im bonkers...maybe they r right :P
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics